8-10 yrs old
11-13 yrs old
Climate & Environment
Using the ‘We Are The Rangers’ Minecraft: Education Edition map one, students meet Rangers and establish their roles and responsibilities.
April 22, 2018
Minecraft world file to support this lesson.
Find out more about amazing rangers and rangers in training who are working to help save our wildlife, their stories and why they are committed to pro
Aerial support and data collection has become critical to wildlife monitoring, ranger deployment, and to counter poaching operations
Conservation really does begin with the community around it, wildlife conservation is inextricably linked with the livelihoods of local communities.
Wildlife area management
An extremely important part of conservation and protecting our wildlife, is the role of wildlife area management.
Did you know that dogs play an important part in protecting wildlife and stopping poachers in their tracks?
The main idea behind this lesson is for students to role play being a wildlife ranger in Africa. To imagine themselves in the life of a wildlife ranger, carrying out daily duties to protect elephants. Students will learn the practicalities of the job as well as the joys and the dangers of carrying out their tasks, developing empathy with the people who carry out this vital job.
Questions that should be used to guide and challenge students include: 1. What is a Wildlife Ranger? 2. Where do they work? 3. What duties might a ranger expect to undertake in a typical day? 4. What do rangers believe are the ‘best’ parts of their job? 5. What do rangers believe are the most difficult parts of their job? 6. In what ways do you think the work of rangers helps to protect and conserve animals?
1. Invite Students to visit the HQ map room, where they start on the Minecraft: Education Edition map: Ask students to take notes on the following:
a. Who is there? There are several rangers in the Ranger HQ. What are the roles and responsibilities they undertake? Students should click on the Rangers to find out.
2. After an initial exploration, invite each group (or pair or individual) to select one of the Rangers to shadow (find their Ranger the assigned colored trail). Learners should spend time shadowing the ranger to find out more details about their specific role. Ask each group to collect as much information as they can about each of the tasks, and how it contributes to protecting wildlife.
3. Once learners have interacted with the different characters in the map, and have gathered information they set out to find, have a class discussion based around the guiding questions above.
4. Ask each group to prepare a short profile (in whichever format you choose – presentation, video, sway, poster presentation) on their specific ranger to share with the rest of the class. Refer students to the video links in this resource. These will give them an accurate insight into their specific ranger. The collective sharing of information about each of the different Rangers should provide a broad perspective on the kind of work undertaken by Wildlife Rangers.
5. As an individual activity, invite students to write a creative account of a typical day in the life of a Wildlife Ranger. The diary entry should be from a first-person perspective and should assume that the reader is someone who has never been to this country before and therefore descriptions of the landscape, the wildlife habitat – and the animals themselves will greatly enhance the account.
Note: Use the videos in the External References section to assist the students to create their Ranger profile and diary.
6. Using the ‘Book and Quill‘ function of Minecraft:Education Edition, ask students to create and maintain their diary in-game. This can include images of the landscape, plants, animals and rangers using the ‘Camera’ function.
In this lesson, we would expect students to:
• Demonstrate an appetite for exploration • Interact with Non-Player Characters (Rangers) as an initial point of contact • Be prepared to explore the map environment to gather more detailed information • Prepare a detailed character profile on one Ranger • Present their character profile to the class • Develop creative writing skills and produce a diary account of a typical day in the life of a ranger
What can we do to slow deforestation?
Create Fred the Human Body!
Collaborate: design & create a human body!
Students to create a sustainable energy circuit
Introduction to Logic Gates
What's the logical password?
Rube Goldberg Machines
Minecraft and Physics.
Building Sustainable Homes
What would happen if we ignored climate change?
The Great Pyramids of Giza
Journey to the mysterious pyramids of Egypt.
Make 2 Sides connect
Students will explore the basics of engineering.
City Planning for Population Growth
Chemistry All Around You
Identify examples of common chemical reactions.
Introduce students to alternative energy sources.
Properties of Matter
Differentiate elements, molecules, compounds.
Dynamic Ecosystems Project
Mastering ecosystems concepts, ideas, principles
Loss of Biodiversity
What would happen with an extinction of a specie?
Water, The Secret of Life
Water is the secret of life
Element Scavenger Hunt
Scavenger hunt to find elements in the world.
Redstone & Sustainable Living
How do businesses work towards sustainability?
Living on the Mars!
Creating sustainable environment on Mars
Detecting Wildlife Crime
Students detect and stop pangolin trafficking.
Students create the Water Cycle in Minecraft.
Blood Flow through the Heart, Lungs, and Body
Preventing Urban Spread
How do we use land efficiently?
Area and Volume
This is a yearlong project for Fifth Grade.
What is the world made of?
Explore the elemental composition of the world.
Build a coral reef time lapse in a Minecraft world
Explore chemical reactions and temperature.
Structures, Models, Molecules
Atoms & molecules can be represented in many ways
The Scientific Method
Use the scientific method to design experiments
Exploring Chemistry Safely
Identify and reduce potential hazards in a lab.
Mission to Mars
Plan a trip to mars and build a sustainable colony
Human Body and Organs
Journey through the human body
Students will create a zoo in Minecraft.
Design various coral reefs with Minecraft and code
Running with Rhinos
Visit a rhino orphanage in Minecraft.
Humans invent technology to help them survive.
Atomic Structures and Isotopes
Atoms are made of neutrons, protons, and electrons
Healthy Eating Lesson
Expansion of healthy eating via planting crops
Recreate real-world objects in Minecraft
Moon Craft 2.0 Lunar Learning
Students learn about the Moon & NASA's LOP-G
What’s the Probability
Help Archimedes discover the Probability of Drops!
Canyon Arch Bridge
8th Grade Engineering Challenge
Depicting best sustainable farming method
Blood Cycle Escape Room
In order to get out you must know your blood cycle
Habitats: Human Impact
Explore the human impact on earth's biomes!
Sensors in Monitoring and Control Systems
Types of Chemical Reactions
Demonstration of different types of reactions
Circulatory System Summary
review the circulatory system in an engaging way.
Velocity-time graph & dispt.
To find displacement using velocity-time graph.
Climate Action Project
A Project As A Part of Koen's #ClimateActionP
The Force of Minecraft!
Energy forces in Minecraft? Where's the evidence?
Chicken or the Egg
7th Grade Engineering Challenge
Students build a sustainable classroom
Wonderful Plant World
Designed to teach Ss about plant's vascular system
How do Soda Springs work?
NGSS Middle School Science
Road Construction Ahead
6th Grade Engineering Challenge
Up and Atom
Create Working Models of Atoms
Crafting Your Review
Students create a review world for others.
Explore molecules in Minecraft
Fun, Functional Playground
Students redesign their existing school playground
Go on a quest to learn about the heart
Aquanaut Aquarius – Habitat II
A Skype Field Trip Companion Experience (Or Not)
Physics:Roller Coaster World
Review or Introduction to forces
Sluneční soustava / Solar syst
Prozkoumej okolní vesmír!
Field Trip Through The Heart
Trek the path that blood takes through the heart
Maravilhas do Mundo no MEE
Mausoléu principal do Taj Mahal construido no MEE
Khám phá môn hóa học
Tìm hiểu về các nguyên tố hóa học
Les réactions chimiques
Réactions chimique dans le monde réel et Minecraft
Structures atomiques et isotop
Numéro atomique, protons, électrons, neutrons.
De quoi est fait le monde ?
Décomposer la matière en éléments chimiques
La méthode scientifique
La science en mouvement !
La science dans Minecraft
Différences entre le monde réel et Minecraft
La chimie en toute sécurité
Découvrir comment faire de la chimie en sécurité
Sample Size/Sound Conclusions
Find a region's composition by taking a sample!