8-10 yrs old
11-13 yrs old
Climate & Environment
Using the ‘We Are The Rangers’ Minecraft: Education Edition map one, students meet Rangers and establish their roles and responsibilities.
April 22, 2018
World File https://aka.ms/watrmeettherangers
Minecraft world file to support this lesson.
Field Ranger https://youtu.be/j0fRJ0dfRYw
Find out more about amazing rangers and rangers in training who are working to help save our wildlife, their stories and why they are committed to pro
Aerial Support http://wildlifecollege.org.za/aerial-support/
Aerial support and data collection has become critical to wildlife monitoring, ranger deployment, and to counter poaching operations
Community Rangers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dOGuhNP8cU&t=1s
Conservation really does begin with the community around it, wildlife conservation is inextricably linked with the livelihoods of local communities.
Wildlife area management https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZwqBexUl2U
An extremely important part of conservation and protecting our wildlife, is the role of wildlife area management.
Dog Handler https://youtu.be/4VxxhOkGsWk
Did you know that dogs play an important part in protecting wildlife and stopping poachers in their tracks?
The main idea behind this lesson is for students to role play being a wildlife ranger in Africa. To imagine themselves in the life of a wildlife ranger, carrying out daily duties to protect elephants. Students will learn the practicalities of the job as well as the joys and the dangers of carrying out their tasks, developing empathy with the people who carry out this vital job.
Questions that should be used to guide and challenge students include: 1. What is a Wildlife Ranger? 2. Where do they work? 3. What duties might a ranger expect to undertake in a typical day? 4. What do rangers believe are the ‘best’ parts of their job? 5. What do rangers believe are the most difficult parts of their job? 6. In what ways do you think the work of rangers helps to protect and conserve animals?
1. Invite Students to visit the HQ map room, where they start on the Minecraft: Education Edition map: Ask students to take notes on the following:
a. Who is there? There are several rangers in the Ranger HQ. What are the roles and responsibilities they undertake? Students should click on the Rangers to find out.
2. After an initial exploration, invite each group (or pair or individual) to select one of the Rangers to shadow (find their Ranger the assigned colored trail). Learners should spend time shadowing the ranger to find out more details about their specific role. Ask each group to collect as much information as they can about each of the tasks, and how it contributes to protecting wildlife.
3. Once learners have interacted with the different characters in the map, and have gathered information they set out to find, have a class discussion based around the guiding questions above.
4. Ask each group to prepare a short profile (in whichever format you choose – presentation, video, sway, poster presentation) on their specific ranger to share with the rest of the class. Refer students to the video links in this resource. These will give them an accurate insight into their specific ranger. The collective sharing of information about each of the different Rangers should provide a broad perspective on the kind of work undertaken by Wildlife Rangers.
5. As an individual activity, invite students to write a creative account of a typical day in the life of a Wildlife Ranger. The diary entry should be from a first-person perspective and should assume that the reader is someone who has never been to this country before and therefore descriptions of the landscape, the wildlife habitat – and the animals themselves will greatly enhance the account.
Note: Use the videos in the External References section to assist the students to create their Ranger profile and diary.
6. Using the ‘Book and Quill‘ function of Minecraft:Education Edition, ask students to create and maintain their diary in-game. This can include images of the landscape, plants, animals and rangers using the ‘Camera’ function.
In this lesson, we would expect students to:
• Demonstrate an appetite for exploration • Interact with Non-Player Characters (Rangers) as an initial point of contact • Be prepared to explore the map environment to gather more detailed information • Prepare a detailed character profile on one Ranger • Present their character profile to the class • Develop creative writing skills and produce a diary account of a typical day in the life of a ranger
Explore, create & sustain life on an alien planet
What can we do to slow deforestation?
Create Fred the Human Body!
Collaborate: design & create a human body!
Students to create a sustainable energy circuit
Introduction to Logic Gates
What's the logical password?
Rube Goldberg Machines
Minecraft and Physics.
Building Sustainable Homes
What would happen if we ignored climate change?
The Great Pyramids of Giza
Journey to the mysterious pyramids of Egypt.
Make 2 Sides connect
Students will explore the basics of engineering.
City Planning for Population Growth
Loss of Biodiversity
What would happen with an extinction of a specie?
Redstone & Sustainable Living
How do businesses work towards sustainability?
Living on the Mars!
Creating sustainable environment on Mars
Water, The Secret of Life
Water is the secret of life
Dynamic Ecosystems Project
Mastering ecosystems concepts, ideas, principles
Properties of Matter
Differentiate elements, molecules, compounds.
Chemistry All Around You
Identify examples of common chemical reactions.
Preventing Urban Spread
How do we use land efficiently?
Introduce students to alternative energy sources.
Students create the Water Cycle in Minecraft.
What is the world made of?
Explore the elemental composition of the world.
Explore chemical reactions and temperature.
Humans invent technology to help them survive.
Area and Volume
This is a yearlong project for Fifth Grade.
Human Body and Organs
Journey through the human body
Detecting Wildlife Crime
Students detect and stop pangolin trafficking.
Structures, Models, Molecules
Atoms & molecules can be represented in many ways
WATER CYCLE, a Hacking PBL
A science classroom hacking project based learning
Exploring Chemistry Safely
Identify and reduce potential hazards in a lab.
The Scientific Method
Use the scientific method to design experiments
Running with Rhinos
Visit a rhino orphanage in Minecraft.
Atomic Structures and Isotopes
Atoms are made of neutrons, protons, and electrons
Blood Cycle Escape Room
In order to get out you must know your blood cycle
Recreate real-world objects in Minecraft
Blood Flow through the Heart, Lungs, and Body
The Time Machine (Activity 5)
Explore the HG Wells classic in Minecraft
Circulatory System Summary
review the circulatory system in an engaging way.
Climate Action Project
A Project As A Part of Koen's #ClimateActionP
Healthy Eating Lesson
Expansion of healthy eating via planting crops
Lava Flow in Volcanoes
Students can see how lava from from a volcano.
Sensors in Monitoring and Control Systems
Moon Craft 2.0 Lunar Learning
Students learn about the Moon & NASA's LOP-G
How do Soda Springs work?
Wonderful Plant World
Designed to teach Ss about plant's vascular system
What’s the Probability
Help Archimedes discover the Probability of Drops!
Build a coral reef time lapse in a Minecraft world
Design various coral reefs with Minecraft and code
Types of Chemical Reactions
Demonstration of different types of reactions
Build and Explore Maya Ruins
Students will learn more about Maya ruins.
Go on a quest to learn about the heart
Explore molecules in Minecraft
The Force of Minecraft!
Energy forces in Minecraft? Where's the evidence?
Depicting best sustainable farming method
Element Scavenger Hunt
Scavenger hunt to find elements in the world.
Crafting Your Review
Students create a review world for others.
Up and Atom
Create Working Models of Atoms
Sluneční soustava / Solar syst
Prozkoumej okolní vesmír!
Fun, Functional Playground
Students redesign their existing school playground
Students build a sustainable classroom
Velocity-time graph & dispt.
To find displacement using velocity-time graph.
Students will create a zoo in Minecraft.
FEN B. HÜCRE EVİ PROJESİ
4 adet hücre içeriği ayrıntılı inşa edildi.
Maravilhas do Mundo no MEE
Mausoléu principal do Taj Mahal construido no MEE
Khám phá môn hóa học
Tìm hiểu về các nguyên tố hóa học
Aquanaut Aquarius – Habitat II
A Skype Field Trip Companion Experience (Or Not)
Structures atomiques et isotop
Numéro atomique, protons, électrons, neutrons.
Les réactions chimiques
Réactions chimique dans le monde réel et Minecraft
La méthode scientifique
La science en mouvement !
De quoi est fait le monde ?
Décomposer la matière en éléments chimiques
Teslin toranj/Tesla tower
Tesla tower- as seen by students in Minecraft
Sample Size/Sound Conclusions
Find a region's composition by taking a sample!
La chimie en toute sécurité
Découvrir comment faire de la chimie en sécurité
La science dans Minecraft
Différences entre le monde réel et Minecraft