8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Students will learn about volume by filling sandboxes, creating equations, and finding the total amount of block in rectangular prisms.
May 12, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Common Core Standard Link 5.MD.C.3
Common Core Standard Link 5.MD.C.4
Common Core Standard Link 5.MD.C.5
Engage NY Link #1
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Engage NY Link #2
Engage NY Link #3
1) What is a unit measurement?
2) What is an area?
3) How do we find an area?
4) What is a rectangular prism?
5) How do we find all the blocks in a rectangular prism?
6) How can the formula for area help us find the formula of volume?
To begin, students will load the attached single player Minecraft world "Volume World".
To progress through this world, students will observe examples, build math models, and answer questions.
Level 1) Sandboxes
Students will enter the world and will see three sand boxes and three piles of sand. Students will match the numbers of sand in a pile to the area of the sandbox. Once all three sandboxes are filled the door will open and the player will go level 2.
Level 1 Help Video
Level 2) Volume Maze
Students will enter the maze where they will find clues on how to derive the formula for volume. They also will find rectangular prisms form they to find the volume of, last they will find the volume of an irregular shape.
Level 2 Help Video
Level 3) Boss Fight
In this level students will fall through a dropper game (don't touch anything on the way down) and need to land in water to survive the fall. Once at the bottom, students will find an irregular shape to examine and find the volume to complete the lesson.
Once complete you will go to the Score Room. The student will get three scores that align to the measurement and data standards covered in the lesson.
1) The student was able to explain volume as unit measurements that fill up a solid figure.
2) The student was able to derive a formula for volume.
3) The student was able to find the volume of rectangular prisms.
4) The student was able to find the volume of irregular shapes.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.