8-10 yrs old
Students will use Code Builder to create a model that represents the interaction between the geosphere and biosphere/atmosphere.
October 29, 2018
World file for student use
Lesson plan in Word format.
Volcanoes, representing the geosphere, erupt and send lava onto the biosphere
Volcanoes, representing the geosphere, erupt and send hot gasses and ash into the atmosphere
Multiple blocks of code can be combined into a time sensitive sequence of events
Students working individually, or in pairs will create a model of the interaction between two or more earth systems. A volcanic eruption will be simulated followed by a forest fire. Firework rockets will launch into the air to simulate ash and explosive gasses reaching the atmosphere.
1. Students to fly to the mountain and enter 5-block deep hole. Use the following command to generate a sphere of air with a radius of 5:
*Note – if radius increases, the mountain sides may be destroyed, and students need to start again with a fresh world, or repair the damage.
2. Build a single column in the center of the empty sphere about 5 blocks tall. Stand on top of the column and record the “world coordinates.” They should look something like this:
Fly to and record the world coordinates from at least 3 more positions around the mountain. Selected locations should allow lava to flow downhill and into the forest, thereby causing a forest fire when executed.
3. Empty dispensers are found near the top. Add one or more firework rockets to each dispenser and, while standing on the sandstone block, record world coordinates. The coordinates should be 1587 94 183.
Individually test each sequence below before combining to initiate the eruption.
1. Create a chat command called midnight. Add the Gameplay block > time set (midnight). Run and test the command.
2. Create a chat command and call it fireworks. Insert Blocks command > place item (redstone torch) at coordinates. Change the relative coordinates (~0 ~0 ~0) to world coordinates located under Positions.
World coordinates reflect the position on top of the sandstone block in front of the dispensers (1587 94 183). Run and test the command. The torch should appear on top of the sandstone block, activating the dispensers and launching the fireworks into the air. Reset by deleting the torch and reloading the dispensers.
3. Create a third chat command and call it lava. Students will add 4 or more Blocks > place commands in a sequence. As in the previous step, change out the relative location with world coordinates representing (1) the top of the column in the volcano and (2-4) the blocks where the lava will flow from and into the forest.
4. The last step is to place 15-20 TNT blocks inside the volcano. It is important to note that the TNT will ignite if flowing lava touches it from any side, but not from the top. The code sequence students created will place the lava on top of the stone column. There must be at least 2 blocks of empty space between the flowing lava and any TNT block at the bottom.
Run the sequence
It’s time to set off the volcano. Students will create a final chat command called volcano, adding the earlier commands in this order:
Students should prepare their camera to record the eruption and forest fire for evidence and then run the command.
If successfully coded, the fireworks will launch, lava will begin to spew out and down the mountain starting a forest fire and the TNT will explode taking off the top of the mountain.
Students should be able to answer the following questions:
What can we do to slow deforestation?
A journey through biodiversity and extinction.
Create Fred the Human Body!
Collaborate: design & create a human body!
Students to create a sustainable energy circuit
Introduce students to alternative energy sources.
Rube Goldberg Machines
Minecraft and Physics.
Building Sustainable Homes
What would happen if we ignored climate change?
Introduction to Logic Gates
What's the logical password?
Dynamic Ecosystems Project
Mastering ecosystems concepts, ideas, principles
The Great Pyramids of Giza
Journey to the mysterious pyramids of Egypt.
Make 2 Sides connect
Students will explore the basics of engineering.
Mission to Mars
Plan a trip to mars and build a sustainable colony
City Planning for Population Growth
Blood Flow through the Heart, Lungs, and Body
Meet The Rangers
Meet Wildlife Rangers in Minecraft.
Detecting Wildlife Crime
Students detect and stop pangolin trafficking.
Students will create a zoo in Minecraft.
Students create the Water Cycle in Minecraft.
Loss of Biodiversity
What would happen with an extinction of a specie?
Build a coral reef time lapse in a Minecraft world
Moon Craft 2.0 Lunar Learning
Students learn about the Moon & NASA's LOP-G
Redstone & Sustainable Living
How do businesses work towards sustainability?
What is the world made of?
Explore the elemental composition of the world.
Build a Dam
3rd Grade Engineering Challenge
Area and Volume
This is a yearlong project for Fifth Grade.
4th Grade NGSS Science
Habitats: Human Impact
Explore the human impact on earth's biomes!
Healthy Eating Lesson
Expansion of healthy eating via planting crops
Recreate real-world objects in Minecraft
NGSS 3rd Grade Science - Forces
Which Month Will You Leave?
Which part of the year will you begin?
Preventing Urban Spread
How do we use land efficiently?
Creeper Tower Test
5th Grade Engineering Challenge
What’s the Probability
Help Archimedes discover the Probability of Drops!
Running with Rhinos
Visit a rhino orphanage in Minecraft.
Design various coral reefs with Minecraft and code
Students build a sustainable classroom
The Force of Minecraft!
Energy forces in Minecraft? Where's the evidence?
Ecosystem Design Task
Learn about interactions within ecosystems.
Crafting Your Review
Students create a review world for others.
Sensors in Monitoring and Control Systems
Aquanaut Aquarius – Habitat II
A Skype Field Trip Companion Experience (Or Not)
Field Trip Through The Heart
Trek the path that blood takes through the heart
Climate Action Project
A Project As A Part of Koen's #ClimateActionP
Fun, Functional Playground
Students redesign their existing school playground
Explore molecules in Minecraft
Learn about the different landmarks of Australia
How do Soda Springs work?
Up and Atom
Create Working Models of Atoms
Sample Size/Sound Conclusions
Find a region's composition by taking a sample!
World of Chemistry Greek 1.1
Greek version of the World of Chemistry
ამ თამაშით წარმოდგენილი...
This lesson is a part of an eTwinning project
Chemistry lessons in Spanish
Learn about Chemistry in Minecraft in Spanish
„გეომეტრიის სამყარო“ არ...
如果你想了解在中国发行的Minecraft我的世界教育版，请访问我们的中国官方网站. 你也可以留在 education.minecraft.net了解世界其他地方如何使用Minecraft: Education Edition.