8-10 yrs old
11-13 yrs old
Block 2: Lesson 5. Finding the Correct Code
June 24, 2020
Block 2 Lesson 5 world
Block 2 Lesson 5 Educator Guide
Block 2 Lesson 5 Student Handout
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
• This lesson is different in format in comparison to other lessons. It’s flipped. The majority of the lesson students will be reading the code and evaluating it and then trying it out in game.
• Remind students there will be only 1 attempt for them to try the code out in game, so all the preparation needs to happen prior to the in-game time.
This lesson will be focusing on fine-tuning what students have been working on in this block: handling details, conditionals, and loops. Because they are handling activities that require a lot of thought and planning and the Agent will be doing multiple jobs all at once, attention to detail is vital. The focus of this lesson is for students to find the code snippet that will achieve the objective.
Activity 1: Uranus’s rings
Activity 2: Neptune’s Moon Triton
1. Q.: Why is Sequencing important?
A.: If sequencing is wrong, the program won’t run correctly and the result will be unexpected.
2. Q.: What is a Persistence?
A.: Not giving up. Persistence works best when you try things many different ways, many different times.
3. Q.: What was your favorite planet to visit over the course of this block?
A.: Answers will vary.
4. Q.: Why is it important to understand the code before running it in-game?
A.: Answers will vary. It can cause irreparable damage to the game.
Sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.