11-13 yrs old
14-18 yrs old
The Hanging Gardens were said to have been built to please King Nebuchadnezzar's wife, Amyitis. King Nebuchadnezzar II ruled Babylon 605 - 562 BC.
August 20, 2018
Hanging Gardens of Babylon
Our Hanging Gardens of Babylon within Minecraft
Coin of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The lost wonder of the ancient world, the fam ed Hanging Gardens, were not
located at Babylon, as originally thought...
Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Josef Kemény, 2008
Hanging Gardens of Babylon Facts
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
Students will apply their knowledge and understanding of the Mesopotamia as the “Cradle of Civilization”. Describe the city of Babylon and the Hanging Gardens. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon was a magnificent structure which was built by King Nebuchadnezzar. Why did he build these and are the gardens really hanging? This lesson will help students explore the ancient culture of Iraq and geography as well as use their creativity! Gift for a Queen - Hanging Gardens of Babylon
Introduce the students to the Hanging Gardens of Babylon by reading some materials and watching video. This materials not only give some insightful information about the gardens but also touches on some rich history in Babylon. Artifacts and ancient structures are also touched upon. Some helpful questions to ask the students after this are:
• What is an example of an artifact?
• What were The Hanging Gardens of Babylon?
• Who built the Hanging Gardens of Babylon?
• Did they really exist? And what did they look like?
• What is truth?
• Has our definition of truth changed through the ages? If so, in what ways?
• And how would that affect the way we read ancient documents?
The Mysterious Wonder of the Ancient
Were The Hanging Gardens Of Babylon Real?
Pictured: the 'real site' of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon
Show students where Iraq is located on the map. Explain that Iraq is located on one of the seven continents, Asia. Map .With this outline we can all students to fill in the map of Iraq and draw what they think to be the main cities, sites, rivers, etc. This activity helps students learn about mapping, history, geography, etc. Have the students making their very own hanging gardens within Minecraft ! Using Minecraft Develops Teamwork, Problem Solving, Design, & Technical skills.
Given access to Minecraft, student groups will demonstrate teamwork. Students will create the plan of Hanging Gardens acording the materials they researched.
Student groups will compose a technical document explaining how to build the Hanging Gardens within Mianecraft; Student groups (exact size will vary by class).
Given access to Minecraft, student groups will demonstrate teamwork and proportional design through the construction of Hanging Gardens of Babylon.
Once the tutorials are complete, groups should post their “how to” documents online to share with other Minecraft user groups
Have them share their ideas and discuss (Answers may vary but should be well- reasoned). During a follow-up discussion, have the student(s) suggest what other types of primary sources or archaeological discoveries might help prove or disprove the existence and related legend of the Hanging Gardens. (Answers will vary and may include: digging up remains of the gardens, Babylonian construction records, any writings about the gardens, records of alliances, wars, etc.)
- Students are expected to strive to accomplish the instructional goals, both as individuals and as group members.
- Students develop new understanding through a process of active construction of knowledge.
- Students learn connected networks of knowledge, skills, beliefs, and attitudes that they will find useful both in and outside of school.
- Meaningful learning activities and assessment strategies focus students' attention on the most important ideas embedded in what they are learning.
- Students learn to think critically and make value-based decisions about related social issues.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.