Students read a comprehensive description of the Eiffel tower, and build it to the best of their ability according to the provided specifications.
November 21, 2017
The Eiffel Tower Brochure
A descriptive, informative brochure on the Eiffel Tower
Why are cultural icons like the tower important?
What is the tower made of?
What roles has the tower played through history?
What records does it hold?
What things are named after the tower?
1. Engage interest in the tower by showing pictures, videos, and other minecraft creations. Stimulate a class discussion
2. Show the PDF brochure and ask some general questions, and maybe some questions for specific detail
3. For larger classes, split students into groups.
4. Open a new flat infinite world in creative mode. Tell students their first job is to interpret the diagram, assume that 1 minecraft block is 1 cubic metre, and have a discussion about how they can replicate this. A good discussion and notes is probably necessary, e.g., material used, size of build area.
5. Allow student leaders to assign roles to various groups/students, e.g., building foundations, who does what.
6. Let students go for it, and monitor where necessary.
7. After the structure is built, use the sign block to annotate the tower and world with facts from the PDF. You can extend here however you like.
As per the learning objectives. Most students should remain engaged and complete at least some part of every step.