8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Explore the Decimal Dungeon in a five-part unit on Numbers & Operations in Base Ten where students observe and build math models to solve problems.
February 12, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Common Core Standard Link 5.NBT.B.6
Common Core Standard Link 5.NBT.B.7
Explore the following concepts with your class:
1) Can we divide numbers when the divisor is larger than the dividend?
2) How do we divide numbers with decimals
3) How can we use division with crafting?
Watch this video and have the students follow along with pencils and paper.
Students will load the attached single player Minecraft world Decimal Dungeon. They will watch videos, observe and build math models, and complete challenges to advance. The world is sequential, but you can warp to any area from the starting Hub. To begin this lesson, speak to the NPC named Level 6.
Level 6) Division with Decimals
Students will divide three crafting recipes to find out how many raw materials it will take to make one stair, slab, and ladder.
Level 7) Performance Task
Students will need to find out how many planks and sticks they will need to craft 20 stairs, 24 slabs, and 18 ladders. There is a book in the treasure chest at the start of Level 7 with more details about the final challenge.
Students will then use the craft table to make the necessary items and place them in the world to escape the Decimal Dungeon!
Challenge 3) Record Your Score
Once you have finished the last level, you end in the safe house. If students have been using the same world throughout the lessons, pushing the buttons will display their score for each section. To record, have students write down your scores on paper and turn it in.
1) What kind of number do you get when the divisor is larger than the dividend?
2) What strategies did you use for find out how many planks and sticks were needed to craft 20 stair, 24 slabs, and 18 ladders?
1) The student was able to solve division problems with decimals.
2) The student was able to figure out how many planks are sticks are need to make 18 ladders, 24 slabs, and 20 stairs.
3) The student has scores of 2 or higher on all standards.
Sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.