8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Explore the Decimal Dungeon in a five-part unit on Numbers & Operations in Base Ten where students observe and build math models to solve problems.
February 12, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Common Core Standard Link
Watch this short video and have the students follow along by writing the problems in their notebooks.
Ask students :
1) How are adding and subtracting decimals different than adding and subtracting whole numbers?
2) How are adding and subtracting decimals the same as adding and subtracting whole numbers?
3) What are real world situations where we would need to add and subtract fractions?
Practice the follow problems
1) 1,458.35 + 385.81 =
2) 81.23 - 7.42 =
Students can take the real world situations they just discussed earlier and use them to write a solve a word problem that involves adding or subtracting decimals.
Play the Game
Students will load the attached single player Minecraft world Decimal Dungeon. They will watch videos, observe and build math models, and complete challenges to advance. The world is sequential, but you can warp to any area from the starting Hub. To begin this lesson, speak to the NPC named Level 5.
Challenge 1) Observe Math Model
Observe and Solve Math Models that Represent Addition and Subtraction Problems with Decimals.
Challenge 2) Build a Math Model of Addition with Decimals
Given two numbers with decimals, add, build the problem and take a picture and document in your portfolio. Then regroup the problem, take a picture and document in your portfolio. Answer the NPCs question to finish the level.
1) How is adding and subtracting decimals different than adding and subtracting whole numbers?
2) How is adding and subtracting decimals the same as adding and subtracting whole numbers?
3) What strategies can you use to make adding and subtracting with fractions easy.
1) The student was able to observe math models and identify what numbers are being added or subtracted.
2) The student was able to build math models and identify what numbers are being added.
3) The student was able to regroup between place values.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.