8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Explore the Decimal Dungeon in a five-part unit on Numbers & Operations in Base Ten where students observe and build math models to solve problems.
February 12, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Common Core Standard Link
Introduce the following ideas to your class. Try watching this video for a sample problem.
1) What is a area model?
2) How do can we build an area model for multi digit multiplication.
3) Does this also work with decimals?
Students will load the attached single player Minecraft world Decimal Dungeon. They will watch videos, observe and build math models, and complete challenges to advance. The world is sequential, but you can warp to any area from the starting Hub. To begin this lesson, speak to the NPC named Level 4.
Challenge 1) Observe and Identify Multi Digit Multiplication Problems
Students will observe four multi digit math models and identify the problem and the product and answer the questions in the computer lock.
Challenge 2) Students will build multi digit multiplication math models.
Given the equation, students will build the corresponding math model of multi digit multiplication problems.
1) The student was able to observe area models of multi digit multiplication and identify what problem is being asked.
2) The student was able to observe area models of multi digit multiplication and identify the product of the problem.
3) The student was able to build and explain math model of multi digit multiplication problems.
4) The student was able to obtain a score of 2 or higher on the standard.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.