8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Explore the Decimal Dungeon in a five-part unit on Numbers & Operations in Base Ten where students observe and build math models to solve problems.
February 12, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Common Core Standard Link 5.NBT.A.3
Common Core Standard Link 5.NBT.A.4
Inform the students that they will be going back into the Decimal Dungeon and they will learn about comparing decimals and rounding with decimals.
Start the lesson by investigating these questions with your class.
Comparing Numbers with Decimals
1) How can we compare numbers?
2) How can we compare numbers with decimals?
Questions for Rounding Decimals
1) How do we count parts of a whole?
2) What is a decimal and give real world examples? ie, cent, cut food, on a ruler, etc
3) Can we round decimals?
4) How is rounding decimals like rounding whole numbers?
Students will load the attached single player Minecraft world Decimal Dungeon. They will watch videos, observe and build math models, and complete challenges to advance. The world is sequential, but you can warp to any area from the starting Hub. To begin this lesson, speak to the NPC named Level 2.
Level 2: Comparing Numbers with Decimals.
Students will observe the math models and chose “greater than, less than, or equal to”. Be sure to observe where the decimal, represented by a button is placed. Answer the robot's questions the proceed to move forward.
Level 3: Rounding Decimals
After finishing the comparisons, students will find themselves in Level 3, the rounding room. They will see four numbers that need to be rounding to different place values. They will use the pickaxe to break blocks changing the number to the rounded form and answer questions within four NPCs. Once all four numbers have been rounded a wall will will disappear completing the level.
1) How is comparing numbers with decimals the same as comparing whole numbers?
2) How is comparing numbers with decimals the different as comparing whole numbers?
3) How is rounding numbers with decimals the same as rounding whole numbers?
4) How is rounding numbers with decimals the different as rounding whole numbers?
1) The student was able to read, write and compare numbers with decimals.
2) The student was able to verbally explain their strategy behind rounding numbers.
3) The student was able to round numbers to decimals of any place value.
4) The student was able to receive a score of 2 or higher on each of the standard.