8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Explore the Decimal Dungeon in a five-part unit on Numbers & Operations in Base Ten where students observe and build math models to solve problems.
February 11, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Common Core Standard Link 5.NBT.A.1
Common Core Standard Link 5.NBT.A.2
Start the lesson by investigating the following questions with your students:
1) Why is Base 10 called Base 10?
2) What are powers of 10?
3) How many times greater is the 1’s place value than the 100ths?
4) How many times smaller is the 10th’s place value than the 100’s?
5) Is there an easy way to multiply and divide with powers of 10?
You can begin class with this Video on how to find the value between digits of a multi-digit number as they will mirror the kind of problems students will see in the Decimal Dungeon .
After the video give the students these sample problems or create your own.
1) In 463.3 the value of the 3 in the ones place is ______ the value as the 3 in the tenths place.
2) in 567.5 the value of the 5 in the tenths place is ______the value as the 5 in the hundreds place.
3) 8734.45 x 1/100=?
4) 345.3 x 100=?
Students will load the attached single player Minecraft world Decimal Dungeon. They will watch videos, observe and build math models, and complete challenges to advance. The world is sequential, but you can warp to any area from the starting Hub. To begin, speak to the NPC named Level 1.
Challenge 1) Value between places
Students will observe the math model and count the spaces between the three in the tens place and the three in the hundreds place. Then they will answer the question in the Computer NPC. “The 3 in the tens place is ______ the value as the 3 in the hundredths place.“
Challenge 2) Multiplying and dividing by powers of 10
Students will observe the math model and use a pickaxe to break the decimal and move it to the correct place. Once in place push/click the button they just placed to check their answer and open the door to the next area.
Once complete, they can move onto Level 2 or return to the HUB.
1) What is an easy way to multiply and divide by powers of 10?
2) How did the math models and help you understand how to multiply and divide by powers of 10?
1) The student was able to determine the value of a digit compared to another digit.
2) The student was able to explain how in a multidigit number, a digit in one place represents ten times the digit to its right and 1/10 of what it represents to the left.
3) The student was able to easily multiply and divide by powers of ten by moving the decimal place to the right or left.
4) The student was able to receive a score of 2 or higher on each standard.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.