8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Study and use lines of symmetry in pixel art. Design your own pixel art with a partner.
February 3, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Common Core Standard Link
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Introduce the lesson with a discussion on symmetry.
1) What is a line of symmetry?
2) Can a shape have more than 1 line of symmetry
Big Idea: Symmetry happens when opposite sides can be folded into the same shape
To begin, load the attached Minecraft world file for Symmetry in Pixel Art.
Students and teachers will enter the world and look at pixel art with lines of symmetry drawn on them and talk about what they see.
Inside the world, students will work with a partner on 3 kinds of challenges:
Challenge 1) Drawn the Lines of Symmetry.
Students will look at a pixel art and draw the all lines of symmetry with red stained glass, take a picture and label it in there portfolio.
Challenge 2) Complete the Pixel Art.
Students will look at a half done pixel art piece and complete it by using the information they get from the lines of symmetry. Then they will take a picture and label it in there portfolio.
Challenge 3) Design Your Own Pixel Art.
Students will design their own pixel art piece and then they will peer review their partner's design by finding the lines of symmetry. After that they will take a picture and label it in there portfolio.
1) The student was able to define symmetry.
2) The student was able to identify lines of symmetry in pixel art.
3) The student was able to complete a pixel art creation by using lines of symmetry.
4) The student was able to create half a pixel art piece ending at the line of symmetry.
5) The student was able to finish a partners pixel art piece.