8-10 yrs old
11-13 yrs old
Students will recreate Sydney Cove as a final product of their historical research and inquiry through a Unit of Work on Stage 2 First Contacts.
July 10, 2018
Sydney Cove by 4Q (In Progress)
Sydney Cove currently in progress by 4Q Class of 2018
What was life like for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples before the arrival of the Europeans?
Why did Europeans settle in Australia?
This lesson can be incorporated into any Stage 2 First Contacts Unit of work. The historical research and inquiry in the unit will culminate into the final product of recreating their own historically accurate version of Sydney Cove.
• Watch the following video of a historian describing the building the first colony at Sydney cove - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwqmr50wdis
• Explain to students that the First Fleet had very little building materials despite what the Officers from England had planned to be the colony that would be built and instead, it became a massive sprawl of tents and smaller structures.
• Read the following text and identify that possible materials that the first colony had access to use in building:
Scattered among rocks and trees above the foreshore were grimy clusters of canvas tents, makeshift shelters and huts, some of which were clad in cabbage palm leaves, others in twigs and clay.
Further afield were rudimentary farming plots and gardens, along with sandstone quarries, sawpits and shingle-cutting camps where the convicts worked every day. On the town’s southernmost outskirts was a muddy field where clay was dug for brickmaking. In coming years Sydney’s buildings would owe much to this increasingly productive brickfield.
In an effort to create order, future streets and building allotments had been pegged out while tentative plans for a hospital, jail, court and church were taking shape. The first building to be finished was an observatory for the lieutenant William Dawes, perched at the end of the rocky western ridge soon to be known as Dawes Point.
• Explain to students that they will be recreating a historically accurate version of Sydney Cover in Minecraft:Education Edition. In building this, they will need to consider many things such as the landscape of Sydney Cover at the time of the First Fleet’s arrival, the differences between the convict tents and buildings where marines and officers would live in. Students will need to justify what materials they have used in the building of their convict colony based on the text above and background knowledge (e.g. steel and glass would not have been used as that material didn’t exist whereas sandstone or cobblestone may be used as the above text mentions sandstone quarries).
• Provide students the following images of Sydney cove as inspiration:
• Students can build their version of Sydney Cove in a flat, Creative map in Minecraft:Education Edition that the teacher creates or they can create their own colonies individually (based on teacher preference).
• Students can then walkthrough each other’s colonies by joining their world or share the class world with other students in the school.
• Students can add characters from their research as NPCs in the world - e.g. Lieutenant William Dawes placed in the Observatory.
Chinese Tang Dynasty Capital
Multiple classes collaboratively build a city.
In this lesson, students explore Medieval Britain
Using Minecraft in German folklore: Fachwerkhäuser
Learn about styles of architecture.
Lesson and game build about usonian architecture.
The Great Pyramids of Giza
Journey to the mysterious pyramids of Egypt.
Students will create a unique dinosaur.
Research and recreate a structure from history.
Timecraft – History EDU Review
Students use provided locations & demo History EDU
Immersive building project for Jamestown Colony
Design a Labyrinth
Design a labyrinth with obstacles, and dead-ends.
Collaborative Design & the 4Cs
Work together to design and build a landmark.
The Round City of Baghdad
Explore and contribute to this historic city.
Building Rome Brick by Brick
Recreate Ancient Rome and its monuments
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
One of the Seven Ancient Wonders of the World
What’s the Probability
Help Archimedes discover the Probability of Drops!
Native American Regions
Recreate Native American regions
Ancient Sacred World
A journey through the ancient sacred places
Humans invent technology to help them survive.
The Egyptian pyramids
Students will build an Egyptian pyramid
Students will take on a journey through Anatolia
A journey to discovery Catacombs in Rome
Portugal: 13th/14th Centuries
Portugal during 13th and 14th centuries
Povos da Península Ibérica
Timeline dos primeiros povos da Península Ibérica
pyramids and Sphinx
Sphinx &Pyramids are the most famous world wonders
Minepark – Building Portugal
History and Geography of Portugal using Minecraft
The Egyptian Civilization
Minecraft World on The Egyptian Civilization
From Crop Fields to the Table!
Discover the production of consumable goods.
Battle of Didgori
Georgian-Seljuk wars, August 12, 1121
Visit an old monastery in Minecraft
Ready Student One: Level 1
A Project Exploring Video Games Since the 1980s!
Building early Sydney
Recreate the settlement by Europeans in Sydney.
The Religions’ Village
The most important Sacred places
Portugal: Séculos XIII e XIV
Portugal in Minecraft: 13th and 14th century
The man and the stars
STEAM activity about religion and archeoastronomy
The two Temples
Compares two jewish temple
Coats of Arms
Path on the art of weaving
Minecraft en Puerto Rico
Desarrollo y construcción de entornos de tu país.
* Gayma *
Déesse de carthage
Mount Fuji & Code Connection
Diving into the famous mountain of Japan
Holy Sepulchre through history
The Holy Sepulchre in all its historical evolution
Văn Miếu – Quốc Tử Giám
Tìm hiểu về kiến trúc Văn Miếu - Quốc Tử Giám
Arena Minecraft Pernambuco
Aspectos culturais de Pernambuco pelo Minecraft
Cultura Afro- Brasileira
Cultura Afro-Brasileira no jogo Minecraft.
As cidades ao longo do tempo.
A estrutura e cotidiano das cidades pela história.
Puente de madera
Construcción de un puente de madera sobre un río.
World Of Pharaohs
Learn about Ancient Egyptian Kings
18 MART ÇANAKKALE ZAFERİ PROJE
Tüm gemi ve cephelerde kod oluşturucusu kullandık.