8-10 yrs old
11-13 yrs old
Climate & Environment
By redesigning our class to be more energy efficient we can help our oceans, forests, atmosphere and waterways return to full health.
July 10, 2018
This resource is a PDF document outline a unit of work on energy and how renewable energy can change the way we power our life.
Website offers resources and videos around the topic of renewable energy sources and sustainability ideas
Sample marking rubric
This is a sample of a marking rubric that can be used to provide feedback on student achievement
What are renewable energies?
What are non-renewable energies?
What types of energy are present in the school?
What types of energy are not present in the school?
What types are of energy are used most in the school? Why do you think that?
Students investigate various types of sustainable practices, resources and fittings suitable for a 21st century classroom. A list of supporting resources can be found in the external references and supporting files section below.
• Students measure the classroom and develop a scale to replicate the original classroom in Minecraft (1m = 1 block)
• Students work in teams to plan their build, deciding on an appropriate building material and roles for the build within the Minecraft platform
• Students complete the build of the original build as a team
• Students use their knowledge of sustainable building materials, resources and fittings to plan a renovation to the original classroom building
• Students work in groups to refurbish their build with a range of sustainable renovations and fittings
• Students use the class developed marking rubric to grade / assess their work
Students work to develop a marking rubric prior to commencing their build. See an example of a marking rubric in the supporting files.
Students should refer to the marking rubric throughout the build to track and monitor their progress.
Consider using the rubric for peer to peer feedback / teacher to student
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.