8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Students will learn to use the rounding mountain method to help them visualize rounding.
August 20, 2018
Number Rock Rounding Mountain
Rounding Mountain Introduction
VDOE SOL Rounding Resources
Teacher Notes and Tasks
How do you know if a number should round up or stay the same?
1. Introduce the lesson with video: Number Rock Rounding Mountain.
2. After watching video have students create their own rounding mountain on paper.
3. Give students numbers such as 3,390, 552, and 6,675. Ask students to show if their numbers would round up or down to the nearest ones, tens, hundreds and thousands. Make sure they prove their answers.
4. Give students their own individual number and let students create their own rounding mountain in Minecraft. Students can be creative and prove that their number would either round up or rest depending on what the teacher wants the student to round their numbers to.
5. Students could use minecarts and blocks to show if their number would go over rounding mountain or stay the same.
Optional: This lesson can be adapted for older students who may have to round to the nearest decimal place.
This lesson is to spark discussion and have the students demonstrate their knowledge of rounding whole numbers.