8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Students will learn how to round to the nearest 10s and 100s by building math models in Minecraft.
February 3, 2020
Supporting Minecraft world file.
Common Core Standard
Engage NY Module
Related Engage NY Module link.
Tutorial video for teachers and students.
Pre Production Sheet
Math notebooks and pencils (colored pencils and graph paper are good for this too)
Slideshow file (see Supporting Files)
Whiteboard and markers
Go through the pictures on the slideshow and brainstorm any thoughts and observations about the math models. Use the students’ brainstorm comments to get them to understand the idea of rounding between place values. Once the students have made a connection of regrouping between rounding between place values, unveil the Big Idea.
Rounding numbers make them easier to work with.
Students will enter the Minecraft World as a single player and solve the eight rounding problems by regrouping the math models. Students will be in survival mode and will be able to fly. Always place with a diamond block so the code can read if you got it correct.
Have students use the red lines as a scaffold to tell to round up or down. The lines are at 5 and 10. If the place value to the left is on or past the 5 line, round up; if it’s below the line, round down.
Set up your classrooms with a few quiet areas to record video; sometimes the hallway can work if you have an active class.
Give students the video production sheet to help organize their thoughts and ideas.
Then have the students go back into their world and build their sets
Film your Video
How to Make a Video:
1. Build the problem, set, and place your NPC.
2. Push the “Windows+G” buttons on your keyboard then the record button.
3. Tell the story and solve the problem.
4. Sign off!
If you have students who are English language learners or just shy, they can use this script, but it is always better if the explanation is in the students’ own words.
Hello my name is ______________ and I have_____(3 digit number) many ______(things). The next day I got ______(3 digit number). So that means I have about _____(rounded 1st number) and (rounded 2nd number) so I have about ______(rounded answer) in all.
1. What are some situations where rounding is useful?
2. What are some situations where rounding is not so good?
3. How does rounding make math easier?
Depth of Knowledge 4
1) The student was able to produce a video that shows a situation where rounding numbers would be useful.
2) The student was able to round numbers to the nearest 10s and 100s place value with math models.
3) The student was able to critique and analyze the work of others.
4) The student was able to explain the pros and cons of rounding.
Depth of Knowledge 3
The student was able to do three out of four listed above.
Depth of Knowledge 2
The student was able to do two out of four listed above.
Depth of Knowledge 1
The student was able to do one out of four listed above.
Sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.