8-10 yrs old
Reading and Writing
Art and Design
The Roald Dahl Museum and Minecraft: Education Edition team up to bring you this beloved story to your classroom.
August 15, 2017
James and the Giant Peach Full lesson
Download the whole lesson to use with your students.
Show the students a picture of a spike.
• As a class, create a mindmap of associative words around the picture, using these questions:
- What can a spike do? - Where might we see spikes?
- How would you feel if you saw this spike in front of you?
• What might the spike tell us about the type of person Aunt Spiker is?
• Show objects or pictures of a pig, a sponge, a witch/hag and a cabbage to continue the discussion.
• Elicit more ideas associated with each word to add more dimensions to the discussion; for example, pigs are greedy; an overboiled cabbage wouldn’t smell very nice; witches/hags cast spells on people.
• Pairs could be allocated one picture each and then feedback ideas.
Group or Independent Activities:
Working in pairs, the children create another awful aunt for James, following these questions:
- If the aunt was an animal, what animal would she be? Why? - If the aunt was a vegetable, what vegetable would she be? Why?
- If the aunt was a thing, what thing would she be? Why?
- What does she do and what does she talk about? Why?
- What is the aunt’s name? (you could use one of your above answers to help you) Explain your answer.
• Independently, the children draw a picture of the new Aunt and write some words to describe her around the picture.
The awful aunts are put in a hotseat in turn. The rest of the class ask the hotseated aunt questions in order to find out more about their character.
• The class vote for the most awful aunt.
• Read to the end of Chapter 2, looking at the dialogue and the way Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker speak to James (“you disgusting little worm”.) In groups of 3 or 4, the children role play a continuation of the scene. This could show Aunt Spiker, Aunt Sponge and James and could also include the new aunt.
Minecraft Extension Activity:
“Come right up close to me and I will show you something wonderful.” The curious old man gives James a magical bag which transforms his life forever.
Ask your students to recreate a scene of their choice from this wonderful book in Minecraft. Now ask them to describe their creation using details, metaphors, and other literary devices.
Fairy Tale Reimagined
Recreate your favorite fairy tale in Minecraft
16 city blocks for students to build on.
Use pixels to create a replica of one's self.
Ss will relate decimals & fractions w/ a garden
Lesson and game build about usonian architecture.
Building a Story Setting
Evaluating the setting within published text.
Creating a Virtual Community
In collaborative groups, students create community
RAIHYYD City and Building
Learn to build cities and things within.
Learn about styles of architecture.
Creating a Theme Park
Student work together to create a theme park.
Machinima / Comics
Students recreate important moment from literature
Hints and tips for reading your next book
Research and recreate a structure from history.
Creation of Geometrical Sculptures in Minecraft
Build a Sculpture Garden
Students work together to create sculpture garden
Timecraft – History EDU Review
Students use provided locations & demo History EDU
Al ritmo de las fracciones
Las fracciones: términos, ejemplos,...
Land of Prydain
Lloyd Alexander's "Book of Three"
Design a Labyrinth
Design a labyrinth with obstacles, and dead-ends.
Perímetros en modo creativo
Repaso dos conceptos de perímetro e área.
Collaborative Design & the 4Cs
Work together to design and build a landmark.
Zoo Design Area and Perimeter
Design a zoo.
Il Mondo di Pinocchio
This project shows how you can create a rainbow in Minecraft usin...
Fort St. Augustine Design Chal
Ss will build fort St. Augustine
Minecraftia Masters 2020
Design a world-class golf course then play!
Build a Cathedral
Students to design and build a Cathedral
Epic Easter Eggs
Create Minecraft Spawn Egg Art in real life!
Redstone Resorts – MDM
Build Redstone Resorts' Minecraftia Del Mar!
Mi primer Granja.
Los estudiantes diseñarán una granja.
Build a Fort
Understand the function of a fort.
Museum of the Future
Students create a futuristic museum.
Get through the maze to build a class village
George’s Marvelous Medicine
In this lesson, student explore power of language and power of po...
MHL Winter Classic Project
Convert Soccer Stadium into outdoor Hockey Rink
Empathy Sky City
Help the natives of Artemor rebuild their lands.
Visual self-reflection artwork
Minepark – Building Portugal
History and Geography of Portugal using Minecraft
An Artist’s Perspective
Music and the Oregon Trail
Roald Dahl’s Boy – The Great Mouse Plot
In this lesson, we explore the elements of plot.
Masters of Invention: Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Students get a chance to be inventors in the immersive world of M...
Make Your Mark
How pioneers made their mark
American Flag Three-Act Math
Determine the fraction/percent of each color!
Blokby i forandring – broer
Skab bedre gang- og cykelmuligheder med broer.
Blokby i forandring-Upcycling
Nedrivning og upcycling i Minecraft
Obras de Arte.
Estimular os educandos a conhecer História da Arte
Think of the Future
Design a 21st Century Statue for your country