8-10 yrs old
Reading and Writing
Art and Design
The Roald Dahl Museum and Minecraft: Education Edition team up to bring you these timeless stories into your classroom.
June 7, 2017
View the full lesson by downloading this pdf.
• Recap the story of The Great Mouse Plot
• Students discuss in groups the following questions:
- Which parts from The Great Mouse Plot do you think Roald Dahl exaggerated?
- What do you think Mrs Pratchett was like in real life? - Do you think the boys really thought they had killed her?
- Did she watch them getting caned?
- Could this actually have happened? (The children should understand this is still believable but just exaggerated)
Make a mindmap of the the ingredients of a good story.
• Draw a cake on the board and ask students to imagine they are making a story cake. They must add all the ingredients they would need for a story: e.g. a beginning, middle and end, plot, good and bad characters, suspense, drama, comedy, a cunning plan, truth...
Step by step, identify the basic structure of a plot:
START – PROBLEM – BUILD UP – CLIMAX – RESOLUTION.
• They can write out the structure or create a storyboard.
• The children divide into groups.
• Each group has a sheet of paper on which they can map out the rise and fall of a plot.
• Each group must draw a line which indicates the ups and downs on the piece of paper.
• The children explain to each other the main events of the story of The Great Mouse Plot by pointing to different elements of the plot structure.
• They can also draw or write the events of the story on the paper.
Group or Independent Activity:
Ask the children to think about an event they would include in their autobiography - a birthday party, a discovery, meeting a new brother or sister for the first time, getting in trouble at school.
• The children need to exaggerate a part of their story to make it sound more interesting like Roald Dahl does.
• Explain it still needs to be something that could happen and is believable!
• The children create a storyboard of their autobiographical account.
Minecraft: Education Edition extension:
Roald Dahl's ‘Boy' includes moments from Roald Dahl’s own life which he transforms into an incredible story. Boy is a masterclass in storytelling perfect for budding authors and creative minds. You might want to inspire your students by sharing your own memorable schooling experience from your own life. Now, ask students to recreate a memorable moment from their years in school in Minecraft.
Fairy Tale Reimagined
Recreate your favorite fairy tale in Minecraft
16 city blocks for students to build on.
Use pixels to create a replica of one's self.
Ss will relate decimals & fractions w/ a garden
Lesson and game build about usonian architecture.
Roald Dahl’s James and the Giant Peach
In this lesson, students learn to explore figurative language.
Building a Story Setting
Evaluating the setting within published text.
Creating a Virtual Community
In collaborative groups, students create community
Learn about styles of architecture.
RAIHYYD City and Building
Learn to build cities and things within.
Machinima / Comics
Students recreate important moment from literature
Hints and tips for reading your next book
Creating a Theme Park
Student work together to create a theme park.
Research and recreate a structure from history.
Timecraft – History EDU Review
Students use provided locations & demo History EDU
Creation of Geometrical Sculptures in Minecraft
Build a Sculpture Garden
Students work together to create sculpture garden
Design a Labyrinth
Design a labyrinth with obstacles, and dead-ends.
Land of Prydain
Lloyd Alexander's "Book of Three"
Collaborative Design & the 4Cs
Work together to design and build a landmark.
Al ritmo de las fracciones
Las fracciones: términos, ejemplos,...
This project shows how you can create a rainbow in Minecraft usin...
Perímetros en modo creativo
Repaso dos conceptos de perímetro e área.
Il Mondo di Pinocchio
Minecraftia Masters 2020
Design a world-class golf course then play!
Museum of the Future
Students create a futuristic museum.
Fort St. Augustine Design Chal
Ss will build fort St. Augustine
Build a Cathedral
Students to design and build a Cathedral
Redstone Resorts – MDM
Build Redstone Resorts' Minecraftia Del Mar!
Build a Fort
Understand the function of a fort.
Get through the maze to build a class village
Epic Easter Eggs
Create Minecraft Spawn Egg Art in real life!
MHL Winter Classic Project
Convert Soccer Stadium into outdoor Hockey Rink
Empathy Sky City
Help the natives of Artemor rebuild their lands.
Mi primer Granja.
Los estudiantes diseñarán una granja.
George’s Marvelous Medicine
In this lesson, student explore power of language and power of po...
Visual self-reflection artwork
Make Your Mark
How pioneers made their mark
Minepark – Building Portugal
History and Geography of Portugal using Minecraft
Masters of Invention: Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Students get a chance to be inventors in the immersive world of M...
American Flag Three-Act Math
Determine the fraction/percent of each color!
Patterns and motifs
Patterns & motifs convey culture and heritage
An Artist’s Perspective
Music and the Oregon Trail
Create a world to show new students our school
Craft Our Classroom!
Mapping our classroom, using a Minecraft world
Art and Magic Museum
Magic art museum where paintings come alive.
Blokby i forandring – broer
Skab bedre gang- og cykelmuligheder med broer.
The College of Art
Learn and apply a knowledge of art composition
* Gayma *
Déesse de carthage
Think of the Future
Design a 21st Century Statue for your country
Only One You
Empowering students to be GREAT!
Path on the art of weaving
Blokby i forandring-Upcycling
Nedrivning og upcycling i Minecraft
Obras de Arte.
Estimular os educandos a conhecer História da Arte
Coats of Arms
Discovery of planets in the solor system
Cultura Afro- Brasileira
Cultura Afro-Brasileira no jogo Minecraft.