11-13 yrs old
14-18 yrs old
18+ yrs old
Climate & Environment
Math & Economics
Identify different renewable energy sources and steps in which renewable energy is converted into usable energy.
September 11, 2019
Renewable Energy Sources
To calculate kinetic energy and potential energy: Power Point Presentation (PPT)
Renewable Energy Sources: mcworld file
Renewable Energy Sources Worksheet: Microsoft word file
Renewable Energy Sources Worksheet for students: Microsoft word file
1. Explain to students need, characteristics and advantages of renewable energy.
2. Explain to students the use of the equations. kinetic energy = ½mv2 and potential energy = mgΔh and efficiency % = (useful energy output/energy input) X 100 %
3. Let students see the PPT on work, energy and power.
4. Give worksheet (attached) to the students and ask students to complete all the questions.
5. Let groups of students to draw the system which converts renewable energy into usable energy on graph paper. This will help them to make diagram in Minecraft.
6. If required demonstrate how to place blocks (create a world) in Minecraft.
7. Make groups of students and ask them to make a world in Minecraft.
8. Ask students to explain the energy changes occurring in different types of energy conversion.
1. Students to complete the worksheet (attached).
2. Groups of students draw picture of a system that coverts renewable energy into usable energy on paper to get an idea of blocks used in Minecraft.
3. Groups of students in groups create system that coverts renewable energy into usable system in Minecraft using suitable scale.
4. Students should explain the energy changes occurring in the process. E.g. Potential energy --> kinetic energy --> mechanical energy --> electrical energy.
5. Students calculate the energy using kinematic/potential energy formula and efficiency of the system.
1. Students will complete the supplied work sheet by solving all the given questions. This can be used to give grades to the students.
2. Screenshots, camera and portfolio and book & quill in Minecraft also be included to support the students work.
3. Students identify the change of form of energy in each step of the energy conversion.
Extension: 1. Students understand how electricity is produced at power stations like hydro, thermal, nuclear etc.
2. Students can design to show working of any power station in Minecraft.
Sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.