8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Inside Minecraft Math Gladiators students will watch videos that will help them find strategies for regrouping.
June 9, 2020
Minecraft Math Gladiators World
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Regrouping - Single Player World
Common Core Standard Link
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Start by investigating these questions with your students:
1) What strategies can you use to make regrouping numbers easy?
2) What happens if there are more than 10 blocks in any column?
3) How can I show “carrying” number is Minecraft?
Part 1: Single Player World
Students will load the attached world designated NBT Single Player World. They will enter the hub area. Speak to the NPC titled "4NBT4 Addition with Regrouping" to enter the practice area.
Students will enter the Single Player world and do the following:
1) watch the instructional video
2) look at the problems and write the addition problem
3) regroup and solve the problem and document it
4) BONUS: Make a video of you adding a number with regrouping.
Part 2: Minecraft Math Gladiator World
Once students finish the Single Player world you can load the attached Minecraft Math Gladiators World. After loading the world, students will speak to the NPC marked Level 5. Students will then speak to the gameshow host who will teleport them to the addition problem obstacle course.
Have the students take a picture and solve the problem on paper then enter the obstacle course. To finish the level students will need to observe math models and answer questions.
Students who finish early should help co-teach.
Based on explanations from the students notebooks, pictures, and videos, the student was able to do all of the following:
1) Make a video or successfully teach another student how to read and round numbers in base 10
2) Correctly document more than 4 photos.
3) Read, write, and explain base 10 numbers rounding strategies up to 100,000.