8-10 yrs old
11-13 yrs old
Art and Design
Social and Emotional Health
Students use Minecraft blocks as “pixels” to produce pixel art versions of themselves, portrait or full body.
November 1, 2016
Famous Self-Portraits from the World
Check out these artists' self-portraits
Introduce students to the challenge. Show examples of pixel art in Minecraft and other games. Show examples of pixel art self-portraits. Explain how pixel art has limited details, and that they can choose one of three sizes to work from: 16x16, 32x32, or 48x48 pixels. Allow students to work independently or in pairs.
• Have students research pixel art for inspiration.
• Help them choose a size based on their Minecraft skill (16x16, 32x32, or 48x48)
• If possible, allow students to use a webcam to take their own headshot. Have them zoom or shrink the image to see what it looks like on a small scale.
• Also if possible, allow students to print images for easy reference.
• Give students a few minutes of planning time with graph paper before going into Minecraft. Ask them to strategize which blocks they will use for each color used in their art. Much of the time, colored wool blocks will suffice, but sometimes more subtle colors require other blocks.
* Have students enter the game and find a space to build. Be sure no one goes too far away from start but that everyone still feels comfortable with their proximity to their neighbors. As they build, float around to offer support. Be sure students are titling and signing their work.
Let students explore and see the progress of the others and leave positive feedback signs.
Students can share suggestions on feedback signs as well.
Finish + Reflect:
Give students some time to make final adjustments to their work and to take screenshots to document what they achieved.
April 15, 2017 3:17 PM
April 16, 2017 2:18 AM
April 23, 2017 9:58 AM
Cool, interesting and educational
November 10, 2017 2:12 PM
Very nice lesson
July 7, 2018 8:07 PM
September 13, 2018 3:48 AM
September 18, 2018 9:57 AM
Great! This resource is going to make my design teaching easier. Thanks for sharing!
October 14, 2018 12:48 AM
AWESOME AND GOOD!
October 18, 2018 10:59 PM
Look awesome world
Empathy Education with MCEE
Allow your students to develop Empathy Skills
Meet and Greet!
Making a Human Timeline to Bring History to life!
Build a New Villager Suburb!
Meet the Villager family who want a new suburb!
Epic Victory of Good over Evil
Wisdom & morality via story & character study