8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Students explore math models to learn about arithmetic patterns and create towers in architectural designs.
February 10, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Common Core Standard Link
Engage New York Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Go through the slideshow and show the math models of the number pattern tower. When the student understands how they kind of look like buildings, the students will enter the game world and ask how math is used in construction.
To begin, have students load the attached Number Pattern Architecture Minecraft world.
Part 1: Finding Number Patterns
Students will explore the pre-made math models of number patterns and find the next set of numbers. Also, they will be given sets of numbers on slates to build a math model.
Part 2: Explore the Architecture
Students will then explore and study the architecture designs made from the number pattern math models and get ideas on what they want to build.
Part 3: Build
In the first building area, students will create and build a math model of a number pattern and push the clone button. The model will appear in the next build area where the students will finish the frame of their building. Push the clone button and the frame will appear in the third build area where the students will design and finish their structure.
Have students switch devices or host their world's for classmates to visit, then answer:
1. What is their math pattern?
2. What can I learn from their design?
3. How could their design be improved?
The students did all of the following:
1) The student was able to find and explain how number patterns grow.
2) The student was able to find the missing numbers in a number pattern.
3) The student was able to create their own number pattern tower.
4) The student was able to use the number pattern tower to create architecture.
5) The student was able to correctly complete and document all the number pattern problems in the Minecraft World.
6) The student was able to make connections with other number patterns in the tower; such as, they are all even or they are all the multiples of three.
7) The student was able to use a number pattern to build an architecture structure that is pleasing to the eye.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.