8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Students will solve and build area models of multi digit multiplication problems.
February 8, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Common Core Standard Link
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Start the lesson by discussing the following with your class:
1) How do we multiply large numbers?
2) What shape does multiplication make?
3) Can we use rectangles to multiply? Why or why not?
Big Idea: Understanding area models can help us multiply large numbers.
Teachers should play the in preparation so they are familiar with the math models. The goal of this lesson is to prove why and how the multi digit multiplication algorithm works. It is best if the students have had some practice with the algorithm on paper before running this lesson. These math models are a great way to bridge the conceptual and procedural knowledge of the multiplication algorithm.
To begin, load the attached world focused around Multiplying Multi-Digit Numbers.
Students will start in a single player world. They will watch instructional videos and encounter seven problems in Minecraft. Students are encouraged to co-teach and share their knowledge with one another. It is also encouraged to have students be writing and solving the problems on paper as they build their math models.
Problem 1 and 2: Problems were both the area model and the math problems are given
Problem 3 and 4: Problems were the area model is given and the student must read the area model to find the math problem.
Problem 5 and 6: Problems were the math problem in given and the student needs to build an area model
Problem 7: Make a video of you building and area model and explain how it works
Students will document their work in portfolios and structure block files.
Bonus: Make a Video
When a team finishes all the problems they will make a “how to” video of explaining how they solved the problem. This is a bonus activity but each person should try to make the video. If a student finishes a video they should help a teammate make one too.
1) How do rectangles help solve multiplication problems?
2) How is base 10 helpful in solving multiplication problems?
3) Explain and area model?
Play Bed Wars (20 minutes)
(See attached game rules sheet)
1) Put students on teams and build area models on the Bed Wars Sky Map
2) Label and peer review other students math put ladders on area models
3) Play the game
1) The student was able to multiply multi digit to single digit whole numbers.
2) The student was able to build math models illustrate and explain calculations strategies with area models.
3) The student was able to make a video of them creating a math model.