8-10 yrs old
11-13 yrs old
Math & Economics
Introduce students to prime and composite numbers with Minecraft block manipulatives.
July 12, 2018
Prime and Composite Math is Fun
Mini Math Minecraft: Prime Vs. Composite Task
What are the differences between prime and composite numbers?
What makes a number prime?
What do numbers that are composite have in common?
1. Introduce this lesson by having students create a 4 x4 array in Minecraft. Discuss how many blocks are in the array. (16) Ask students to create arrays for the following numbers: 9, 14, 21, 24
2. Discuss what all of these numbers have in common.
3. Have students try to create arrays for 11 and 17. Students should realize that it is impossible to create arrays for these numbers.
4. Discuss the difference between prime and composite numbers.
5. Have students work on Mini Math Minecraft: Prime Vs. Composite Task 6. Share and discuss how to identify prime and composite numbers.
This lesson is to spark discussion and have the students demonstrate their knowledge of prime and composite numbers.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.