8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Design a prototype of a home and find the area and perimeter.
February 4, 2020
Minecraft World File
Please note that students should use their existing world file from Making Homes: Lesson 2.
Common Core Standard Link
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Go through the pictures on the attached slide show and brainstorm thoughts and observations about how math can be used to build roofs and facades. Use the students’ brainstorm comments to get them to understand these concepts and once the students have made these connections, unveil the Big Idea.
Math is needed to construct all buildings and measuring the area and perimeter of shapes are its tools.
Put students in groups of four and have them take out the blueprint they got on their first day. As students finish, have them peer review each other's work before entering the Home Prototype World.
Developing a Prototype
To begin, have students load their world file from Making Homes - Lesson 2.
Students will enter the world and have four activities to complete that will follow the worksheet.
1. Design their roof.
2. Design their facade.
3. Design their door.
4. Document their math by showing these variables on a slate
The student did all of the following.
1. The student was able to create walls on their foundation by stacking loops of perimeters on top of one another and explain how walls = perimeter x height.
2. The student was able to design prototypes of floor plans on the worksheet and in creative mode.
3. The student was able to build and explain models on how Ax(B+C) = (AxB)+(AxC) and how it relates to their floor plan.
4. The student was able to find and explain the area and perimeter of a two-room floor plan.
5. The student was able to explain strategies on how they did the math, such as measuring the length and width to find the area.
6. The student was able to build walls and rooms for a home in Survival World.