8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Use the fill command to fill up a liter measuring cup. Then design an aquarium that holds 1,000,000 liters.
February 3, 2020
Supporting Minecraft world file.
Common Core Standards 3.MD.2
Common Core Standards 3.MD.5
Common Core Standards 3.MD.8
Engage NY Module
Related Engage NY Module link.
When doing this lesson, try bringing in real measuring cups so students can actually see what liters and milliliters look like. Remind them that 1 block in Minecraft is 1000 liters or 1 kiloliter. So if we are measuring in milliliters or liters, it is just a large model.
Go through the slideshow (see Supporting Files section) until the students see how to measure a volume of water and how 1000 milliliters = 1 liter, and 1000 liters = 1 kiloliter. Then unveil the Big Idea.
The Big Idea:
Water can be measured in units such as milliliters, liters, and kiloliters.
The Fill Command
Make sure you test the ’fill command” yourself first by going through the slides and practicing.
Run through the slideshow with the students and if there are any experienced Minecraft players in your class that already know how to do this, enlist them has student teachers.
The “fill command” is:
/fill ~ ~ ~ ~(#Length) ~(#Height) ~(#Width) block_choice
Once the students have successfully used the ‘fill command” to create water, send them into the World to fill a measuring cup.
Fill the Cup
In this activity, each water block will represent 1 milliliter and students will use the “fill command” to fill up a liter 100 ml at a time. They will mark their measurements on the cup as they go.
After they complete this task, they will see that the tank held 1000 liters or 1 kiloliter and move on to the next challenge.
Blueprint for the Aquarium
Students will use this sheet to help them figure out different ways to create an aquarium that will equal 1000 kiloliters, as well as a scaffold to help them write the “fill command.”
Build the Aquarium
First, run the tank command and mark the inside starting block. Then go inside and run the command for the water. Last, create a coral biome in your tank.
1. What is the difference in measuring liters in Minecraft and the real world?
2. How much water can a Minecraft bucket hold?
3. How much does a full Minecraft bucket weigh?
Depth of Knowledge 4
The student did all of the following:
1. The student was able to use the “fill command” to fill a liter measuring cup 100 milliliters at a time. (3.MD.2)
2. The student was able to convert 1000 milliliters to 1 1 liter. (3.MD.2) (3.MD.5)
3. The student was able to find the weight of a measured amount of water. (3.MD.2)
4. The student was able to draw prototypes for an aquarium that can hold 1,000,000 liters of water or 1,000 blocks of water, and find the measurements for the length, width, and height. (3.MD.8)
5. The student was able to manipulate the measurements to use in the “fill command.”
6. The student was able to explain unexpected higher level thinking skilsl such as what is a volume, or easy ways to find the correct measurements that would equal 1,000 blocks.
Depth of Knowledge 3
The student was able to do five out of six listed above.
Depth of Knowledge 2
The student was able to do four out of six listed above.
Depth of Knowledge 1
The student was able to do two out of six listed above.