8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Students study lines and angles and use them to design a facade of a building.
February 3, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Common Core Standard Link
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
1) How can we define lines?
2) How can we measure angles?
3) How can we use lines and angles to build great things?
To begin, have students load the attached Minecraft world file for Lines, Angles & Architecture.
Students will all enter the game world in creative world and talk to the NPCs. The NPCs will give information and videos on how build lines and angles in Minecraft. After students watch the videos they should study the models and build their models. Next have them take pictures and document their work in their portfolio.
Step 1 Parallel Lines
Step 2 Perpendicular Lines
Step 3 Acute Angles
Step 4 Obtuse Angles
Step 5 Building a Facade
In this section students will build a facade using that will have at least one parallel line, perpendicular line, acute angle, and obtuse angle. They will label these two dimensional shapes on a slate and document their work in their portfolio.
1) The student was able to identify, label, and explain perpendicular lines, parallel lines, acute angles, and obtuse angles
2) The student was able to use their knowledge of lines and angles to build facades for buildings
3) The student was able to use right angles to determine whether angles are equal to, greater than, or less than right angles.