8-10 yrs old
11-13 yrs old
Reading and Writing
Experience life as a voyageur in the fur trade. Travel to each fur trading post to exchange your goods for beaver pelts!
December 19, 2018
World File (ENGLISH)
World File in English
World File (FRENCH)
World File in French
Video on the beaver pelt
Video explaining about the beaver pelt in the fur trade.
Fur Trade Route
A map with the routes to the various fur trading forts.
Student Questions (ENGLISH)
Worksheet for students. The answers are all found in the game.
Student Questions (FRENCH)
1. What is a natural resource?
2. Why was the beaver pelt so important and favored above all other fur pelts?
3. What were the pros and cons of European trade relations with the First Nations of Canada?
4. What attracted young men from Montreal to leave their village for months on end?
1. Introduce students to a map of Canada with all the fur trade forts. Discuss the similarities between the forts and the placement.
2. Introduce the idea of trading resources for goods.
3. Present the art of Frances Anne Hopkins and discuss the similarities between each scene.
a. What sort of questions can you come up with based on the paintings of the voyageurs?
4. Distribute handout to students and go through each guiding question. Inform students that the answers to each question will be found within the game world.
• Students will answer questions based on experiences found in the world.
• Students will understand the hardship of the voyageur during the fur trade.
Sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.