8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Students engage in a javelin throwing competition in Minecraft, plotting the distances and scores on line plot graphs in the game.
May 12, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Common Core Standard Link
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
1) What is data?
2) How can we track data?
3) What is a line plot graph?
4) How do you graph fractions on a line plot graph?
5) What strategies can I use to add fractions quickly?
To begin, load the attached Minecraft world for Javelin Line Plots. A how to play video is available.
Ideally students will work in groups of three. One student will host a game and supply their join code to the others to join. Students may also work alone and track their own work.
To play the game each player will throw 5 javelins and their scores will be tracked on a line plot graph. There is a video to help students with the math inside the NPC.
In game jobs
1) The Thrower-Stands at the start of the track and throws the javelins.
2) The Caller-Stands on the track and tells the other players where the javelin landed.
3) The Plotter-Stands in the scoring area and tracks the scores on a Minecraft line plot graph.
Minecraft Line Plot Graph
There will be a worksheet attached to the lesson each student will need three worksheets to track all the players in their group’s scores. Make sure to have the students document their work by sending a file from the structure block.
1) The student was able to collect data by throwing javelins on a score track.
2) The student was able to track and interpret data on a line plot graph.
3) The student was able add and subtract mixed numbers with different denominators.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.