8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Students will throw 10 tridents and track their distance on a line plot graph.
February 5, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Common Core Standard Link
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
1) What is data?
2) How can we track data?
3) What is a line plot graph?
4) What can a line plot graph tell us about data?
To begin, load the attached Minecraft world for Javelin Line Plots.
1) Learning How to Plot data on a Number Line.
Students will enter the single player and see a number line and chest. Inside the chest they will find a chest with a book, twelve diamond blocks, a pickaxe, a camera, and portfolio.
Inside the book will be twelve data points measured in fractions and mixed numbers. Students will put the diamond blocks on the number line that corresponds to its value.
Once all data points have been placed correctly students will read the data in order to answer the NPC's question. Answering correctly will move the player to the next area.
2) Javelin Throw
The students will find a chest with ten tridents and a book and quill to track their data. The student will throw all ten tridents and track their measurements with fractions and mixed numbers in their book and quill (or on paper). Last they will plot their javelin data on a number line and make a file with a structure block.
1) The student was able to create data by measuring how far they throw their javelin using mixed numbers and fractions.
2) The student was able to plot their data on line plot graphs.
3) The student was able to answer math questions based on their data.
Sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.