8-10 yrs old
11-13 yrs old
Art and Design
Math & Economics
Students will explore representing & describing fractions as percents & ratios in different ways. A remix building upon the Fractions Pixel Art world.
February 17, 2021
Fraction Pixel Art
The link to the original M:EE world that was used as the building blocks for this lesson's world
Ratios & Rates
A useful video by Math Antics explaining the connection between fractions, ratios, and rates
Ratio Problem Sample
Percent Modeling Sample
Percent and Ratio Modeling world
the world file for this lesson
This world is designed to support Grade 6 Ontario mathematics exploration of topics covered in the 2020 curriculum for Number - Operations:
1. Enter the world individually or in groups and speak to the Get Started NPC to receive a camera, portfolio, and book&quill.
2. Explore the three roads of representation and use a documentation method of their choice to answer the questions posed by the signs and NPCs.
3. Share their answers with the class or teacher, as directed.
4. Create one or more visual or artistic representations and use signs to describe their creation(s) in terms of fractions & percent.
5. Create at least one ratio model and use signs to describe each part of the ratio shown.
6. Document their creative and math thinking using the camera & portfolio and export to share where directed.
Challenge students to calculate and model a variety of "percent of number" problems focusing on 1%, 5%, 10%, 15%, 25%, and 50%.
Sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.