8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Explore math models of addition and subtraction problems with fractions then create a plan for a farm in Minecraft using what you've learned.
February 13, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Common Core Standard Link 5.NF.A.1
Common Core Standard Link 5.NF.A.2
Engage NY Link #1
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Engage NY Link #2
Explore these ideas with your class:
1) How do we add and subtract fractions?
2) What is an equivalent fractions?
3) How do we add and subtract fractions with different denominator?
4) What real world situations could adding and subtracting with fractions useful?
5) Teach the algorithm for adding and subtracting with unlike denominators.
To begin, students will load the attached single player Minecraft world "Fraction World".
1) Observe Math Models
Students will enter a single player world and observe math models visualizing the addition and subtraction of fractions with unlike denominators. There are help videos included in the NPCs that will connect the math models to the algorithm. Once students understand how to use the math models, they should enter the next room.
2) Math Mode - Problem Room
Students will complete and solve problems that involve adding and subtracting with fractions. They will document their work by taking a picture in their portfolio.
3) Performance Task - Old McDonald Had a Farm
Students will go into the third room to meet Old MacDonald and see his plans for a new farm. They will analyze his plan for the farm to determine if the plan will work or not. Next they will create their own plan then build their plan in Minecraft to prove their math is correct.
1) The student was able to build and explain math models that represent addition and subtraction with fractions with different denominators.
2) The student was able to use fractions to analyze a plan to divide up the farmland.