8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Solve fraction problems, peer review math models based on solutions and use the models to play a mini-game.
April 30, 2019
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Common Core Standard Link
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
1) What shape does multiplication make?
2) What is an area model?
3) Do fractions use area models?
4) How can we multiply with fractions?
5) In what real world situations would you need to multiply with fractions?
1) Build the Map
All players will enter the world and get in there team’s skin (Gold Team’s skin or Purple Team’s skin). The teacher will push the build the map button, all players will be teleported into the team choosing room. After the players go to the Gold or Purple side they will enter the map.
The teacher will give all the students three multiplying fraction problems. The students will build, label, and document their math models in their portfolios. Help videos are located in the NCP standing behind the flag.
2) Peer Review
Have each student peer review at least 3 math models. Once all math models have been peer reviewed start the game.
3) Play Capture the Flag
The teacher will hit the “Play Game” button and the players will be teleported into their team locker rooms. The players will choose their characters and enter the game and try to destroy their opponents flag.
1) The student was able to build and explain math models of fraction multiplication.
2) The student was able to solve fraction multiplication on paper.
3) The student was able to peer review a classmates math models and determine if they are accurate or not.
Sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.