8-10 yrs old
11-13 yrs old
14-18 yrs old
Math & Economics
The concept of equivalent fractions is difficult for some students to understand.
June 20, 2018
1. What is a fraction?
2. What does the denominator represent? Numerator?
2. What is a ratio? Rate? Unit rate?
3. How are a fraction and a ratio similar?
1. Use different color blocks to create: 1/2
2. Use the same colored blocks to create a fraction/ratio equivalent to 1/2.
3. Complete this task again with another fraction/ratio. There should be a total of three ratios equivalent to 1/2 including the 1/2.
Imagine you are a landscaper hired to decorate a garden.
1. Create a garden that showcases a bed of flowers using the ratio 10 roses/2ferns. Build a fence around your first garden.
2. The neighbor liked your work, but has a smaller plot of land. Determine the unit rate for roses : ferns and plot that garden. Build a fence around your second garden.
2. A prospective client has heard about your work and would like a large model built for 40 roses. How many ferns would you need for a garden with 40 roses? Create your garden and build your fence around it.
Students will be able to explain the the similarities between equivalent fractions/ratios.
Students will be able to model a fraction using different items.
Students will be able to determine the unit rate and understand a unit rate is a fraction comparison to one.
Students will be able to integrate technology to create visuals and model equivalent fractions.
Students will be able to solve real world problems incorporate math and technology.
Sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.