8-10 yrs old
Learn about ecosystems by venturing an unknown biome and gathering evidence on how this the biome functions.
May 10, 2019
4th Grade Planning Guide
Lesson created by: Tiffany Wilson
Day One: Prior to building task
Time: 1 Class Period
This is a real-world problem...Scientists go into an unknown biome and gather evidence on how this unknown biome functions. Scientists will populate the biome by spawning animals and plants that will function within the ecosystem. This does not have to be an Earth-like biome, although the relationship between organisms must be well understood and defined.
Assignment "Teaser" Video
What makes an ecosystem?
How many different food chains can you imagine?
• Class will also view Deep Ocean trenches on the Earth video (several on YouTube, teacher can select based on age and maturity level of students).
• *This challenges the typical idea of ecosystems beginning with the sun and allows students to extend their knowledge of ecosystems and the food chains within them.
• Teacher will facilitate a simple discussion on predator/prey relationships and energy transfers within food chains.
• Review teacher-made Rubric for actual assessment for the submission (Book & Quill).
• Students will be assigned to work in groups/partners to complete a planning guide where they are brainstorming their “own biome” (teacher-made document).
• Discuss shared responsibilities and checklist requirements for task.
*Teacher will review planning guides and provide feedback to partner teams on feedback slip attached to planning sheet prior to this class period.
Time: 1 Class Period-
Teacher will review the assignment as well as the following skills in Mincraft:
Time: 1-2 Class Periods
• Students will work in their partner teams to build their own ecosystem.
Partner teams must:
See External Reference section for full grading rubric.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.