11-13 yrs old
Physical Health & Wellness
The global incidence of dengue has grown, leading to death in recent decades. About half of the world's population is at risk.
May 3, 2018
Minecraft | CRAZY INSECTS MOD!
Virtual Reality game to fight with crazy insects like Hercules, Beetles praying Mantis and more.
World Health Organization on Dengue
Dengue- A deadly mosquito borne viral disease
Dengue (pronounced DENgee) fever is a painful, debilitating mosquito-borne disease caused by any one of four closely related dengue viruses
As students enter the class, and the subject is being introduced, play this Youtube Video while they get settled
•Building Prior Knowledge -
Watch these videos on the spread of Dengue
• Next, show the students the following digital images of deforestation
Stopping The Spread Of Deadly Dengue Fever
12 Ways To Boost Immunity To Prevent Dengue
As the students get into groups and discuss about the Dengue mosquito-born viral disease, they share the cause and after effects, along with preventive techniques that can be adopted, as it relates to different parts of the world. Answers are recorded in a central location to be used as a reference throughout the lesson.
• Dengue doesn't spread from person to person. You can prevent the risk of the disease by keeping your surroundings clean and wearing protective clothing. The dengue mosquito typically attacks during the day and some experts say the favorite spots are below the elbow and below the knee. They are generally active between the time period of August-October and do not breed when the temperature falls.
• Reduce the mosquito habitat by removing standing water around your house. You could turn to natural repellents like Lemon Eucalyptus Oil, Lavender, Neem Oil and Cinnamon Oil to protect yourself against mosquito bites.
• There are a number of plants that have mosquito repellent properties like feverfew, citronella, catnip, and lavender. Place them around your house to keep mosquitoes away. Even herbs like garlic, lemongrass, basil, peppermint, rosemary may help.
Problem -based learning
Option one: Design and create a Minecraft world illustrating an area in your state that has experiences of Dengue attack. Students could take before and after effects of Dengue attack.
• Once the design is complete, take a screenshot demonstrating before and after for each point in time.
Option two: Design and create a Minecraft world where preventive measures are taken like growing trees that prevent the spread of mosquito and preventive vaccination have failed and predict the effects of Dengue after 10 years.
• Once the design is complete, take a screenshot of the final product
Science- Infectious diseases are a serious threat to world health. They are particularly devastating in tropical countries where infectious agents thrive and where healthcare resources are stretched thin. Two leading virus researchers explain how they use both simple and sophisticated technologies to detect and fight infectious agents. Students watch this video:
HHMI 2010 Holiday Lectures - Dengue Fever: Breaking Epidemic Cycles by going to the link
In the first lecture of the Holiday lecture series, Dr. Eva Harris, University of California, Berkeley, introduces the multiple types of dengue virus, and its effect on the immune system. She explains the current studies on infections and the possible uses for vaccines. As well, Dr. Harris focuses on preventing the spread of the disease by understanding the mosquito-based transmission method and how communities can be involved in prevention.
• Students can construct an argument for or against citing evidence from their research and create a 30-second commercial stating their main point with evidence with reference to this study.
• Students can launch an awareness campaign on changes in lifestyle so as to prevent the spread of this disease. They can raise a petition on social networks, school YouTube channel and tweet the message across with the hashtag #fightdengue
Evidence of Learning
• Screenshots or screencast of either the Minecraft world demonstrating the before and after effects of Dengue devastation caused in chosen state/local areas.
• Screenshots or screencast of the Minecraft world demonstrating the present day Dengue impact in a particular state/local area. Include additional screenshots or screencast of how the same area would look in 5-10 years