8-10 yrs old
11-13 yrs old
Math & Economics
Deforestation is occurring at an alarming rate! Since the 1990’s it has doubled and continues today. Deforestation happens all over the world.
October 25, 2016
Deforestation in Washington State
Mini-Lesson (whole class):
As students enter class or as a transition to the subject, play this YouTube video while they get settled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4V93dFKBlc#t=105
• Building Prior Knowledge
• Watch these videos on the deforestation of the Amazon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVh2DEgpvsM
• Next, show the students the following digital images of deforestation
• Have students share the images with other student partners in with the same cause/effect.
• As large groups of the same cause/effect card, students can vote on the pair of before/after images they want to share.
• After all small groups have shared their images, discuss as a large group the causes and effects of deforestation as it relates to different parts of the world. Record answers in a central location to be used as reference throughout the lesson.
Independent or cooperative group activity choices
• Option One: Design and create a Minecraft world illustrating an area in your state that has experienced deforestation. Be sure to clearly show the before and after effects of deforestation from two different dates.
o Once the design is complete, take a screenshot demonstrating before and after for each point in time.
• Option Two: Design and create a Minecraft world illustrating present day deforestation in a particular area and take a screenshot. Next, predict the effects of deforestation in the same area as it would look in the next 5-10 years
o Once the design is complete, take a screenshot of the final product.
• Science- students read article about the Oso landslide, one of the most recent National disasters in Washington State which killed 43 people. The report states that the evidence is inconclusive http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20141209/NEWS01/141209031
• Students can construct an argument for or against citing evidence from their research and create a 30 second commercial stating their main point with evidence.
• Students design a campaign to make changes in their own local area to impact deforestation. They choose a point of view based on the causes and effects of deforestation and can make a video or develop other materials to create awareness of how their community. Students can come up with other creative options to get the word out for example, creating PSA’s and posting them on SchoolTube as well as Tweeting facts about deforestation in their community with the hashtag #deforestisdestructive.
Evidence of Learning
• Screenshots or screencast of either the Minecraft world demonstrating the before and after effects of deforestation in chosen state/local areas.
• Screenshots or screencast of the Minecraft world demonstrating the present day deforestation in a particular state/local area. Include additional screenshots or screencast of how the same area would look in 5-10 years.
November 8, 2016 8:08 AM
November 8, 2016 2:52 PM
Will use it for a interdisciplinary activity between Science and Geography. In the end the students will have to discuss inclass their conclusions and points of view.
November 9, 2016 6:26 AM
November 12, 2016 10:27 AM
This is a great idea for not only deforestation, but historical cities as well. For example, students could create their town/city in Minecraft today and 100 years ago, including the surrounding area to show development of their community. Thanks! Mark
November 18, 2016 7:16 AM
November 28, 2016 7:22 AM
November 29, 2016 10:42 PM
Great lesson. Would go great with the old Forrest dillema lesson from the Boeing after schools program (shape of change).
December 1, 2016 12:41 AM
December 2, 2016 10:32 AM
December 13, 2016 11:34 AM
Deforestation is a very interesting and highly current topic for working with students.
Explore, create & sustain life on an alien planet
Create Fred the Human Body!
Collaborate: design & create a human body!
Students to create a sustainable energy circuit
Introduction to Logic Gates
What's the logical password?
Rube Goldberg Machines
Minecraft and Physics.
Building Sustainable Homes
What would happen if we ignored climate change?
The Great Pyramids of Giza
Journey to the mysterious pyramids of Egypt.
City Planning for Population Growth
Make 2 Sides connect
Students will explore the basics of engineering.
Loss of Biodiversity
What would happen with an extinction of a specie?
Redstone & Sustainable Living
How do businesses work towards sustainability?
Living on the Mars!
Creating sustainable environment on Mars
Water, The Secret of Life
Water is the secret of life
Dynamic Ecosystems Project
Mastering ecosystems concepts, ideas, principles
Chemistry All Around You
Identify examples of common chemical reactions.
Preventing Urban Spread
How do we use land efficiently?
Properties of Matter
Differentiate elements, molecules, compounds.
Introduce students to alternative energy sources.
What is the world made of?
Explore the elemental composition of the world.
Area and Volume
This is a yearlong project for Fifth Grade.
Humans invent technology to help them survive.
Students create the Water Cycle in Minecraft.
WATER CYCLE, a Hacking PBL
A science classroom hacking project based learning
Human Body and Organs
Journey through the human body
Explore chemical reactions and temperature.
Structures, Models, Molecules
Atoms & molecules can be represented in many ways
The Scientific Method
Use the scientific method to design experiments
Exploring Chemistry Safely
Identify and reduce potential hazards in a lab.
Atomic Structures and Isotopes
Atoms are made of neutrons, protons, and electrons
Running with Rhinos
Visit a rhino orphanage in Minecraft.
Detecting Wildlife Crime
Students detect and stop pangolin trafficking.
Blood Cycle Escape Room
In order to get out you must know your blood cycle
How do Soda Springs work?
The Time Machine (Activity 5)
Explore the HG Wells classic in Minecraft
Lava Flow in Volcanoes
Students can see how lava from from a volcano.
Blood Flow through the Heart, Lungs, and Body
Circulatory System Summary
review the circulatory system in an engaging way.
Climate Action Project
A Project As A Part of Koen's #ClimateActionP
Meet The Rangers
Meet Wildlife Rangers in Minecraft.
Wonderful Plant World
Designed to teach Ss about plant's vascular system
What’s the Probability
Help Archimedes discover the Probability of Drops!
Build and Explore Maya Ruins
Students will learn more about Maya ruins.
Healthy Eating Lesson
Expansion of healthy eating via planting crops
Go on a quest to learn about the heart
Sensors in Monitoring and Control Systems
Crafting Your Review
Students create a review world for others.
Types of Chemical Reactions
Demonstration of different types of reactions
Sluneční soustava / Solar syst
Prozkoumej okolní vesmír!
Moon Craft 2.0 Lunar Learning
Students learn about the Moon & NASA's LOP-G
Build a coral reef time lapse in a Minecraft world
The Force of Minecraft!
Energy forces in Minecraft? Where's the evidence?
Design various coral reefs with Minecraft and code
Explore molecules in Minecraft
FEN B. HÜCRE EVİ PROJESİ
4 adet hücre içeriği ayrıntılı inşa edildi.
Velocity-time graph & dispt.
To find displacement using velocity-time graph.
Up and Atom
Create Working Models of Atoms
Maravilhas do Mundo no MEE
Mausoléu principal do Taj Mahal construido no MEE
Khám phá môn hóa học
Tìm hiểu về các nguyên tố hóa học
Recreate real-world objects in Minecraft
Fun, Functional Playground
Students redesign their existing school playground
La science dans Minecraft
Différences entre le monde réel et Minecraft
Students build a sustainable classroom
Sample Size/Sound Conclusions
Find a region's composition by taking a sample!
Structures atomiques et isotop
Numéro atomique, protons, électrons, neutrons.
Les réactions chimiques
Réactions chimique dans le monde réel et Minecraft
La chimie en toute sécurité
Découvrir comment faire de la chimie en sécurité
La méthode scientifique
La science en mouvement !
De quoi est fait le monde ?
Décomposer la matière en éléments chimiques
Depicting best sustainable farming method