8-10 yrs old
11-13 yrs old
Math & Economics
Deforestation is occurring at an alarming rate! Since the 1990’s it has doubled and continues today. Deforestation happens all over the world.
October 25, 2016
Deforestation in Washington State
Mini-Lesson (whole class):
As students enter class or as a transition to the subject, play this YouTube video while they get settled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4V93dFKBlc#t=105
• Building Prior Knowledge
• Watch these videos on the deforestation of the Amazon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVh2DEgpvsM
• Next, show the students the following digital images of deforestation
• Have students share the images with other student partners in with the same cause/effect.
• As large groups of the same cause/effect card, students can vote on the pair of before/after images they want to share.
• After all small groups have shared their images, discuss as a large group the causes and effects of deforestation as it relates to different parts of the world. Record answers in a central location to be used as reference throughout the lesson.
Independent or cooperative group activity choices
• Option One: Design and create a Minecraft world illustrating an area in your state that has experienced deforestation. Be sure to clearly show the before and after effects of deforestation from two different dates.
o Once the design is complete, take a screenshot demonstrating before and after for each point in time.
• Option Two: Design and create a Minecraft world illustrating present day deforestation in a particular area and take a screenshot. Next, predict the effects of deforestation in the same area as it would look in the next 5-10 years
o Once the design is complete, take a screenshot of the final product.
• Science- students read article about the Oso landslide, one of the most recent National disasters in Washington State which killed 43 people. The report states that the evidence is inconclusive http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20141209/NEWS01/141209031
• Students can construct an argument for or against citing evidence from their research and create a 30 second commercial stating their main point with evidence.
• Students design a campaign to make changes in their own local area to impact deforestation. They choose a point of view based on the causes and effects of deforestation and can make a video or develop other materials to create awareness of how their community. Students can come up with other creative options to get the word out for example, creating PSA’s and posting them on SchoolTube as well as Tweeting facts about deforestation in their community with the hashtag #deforestisdestructive.
Evidence of Learning
• Screenshots or screencast of either the Minecraft world demonstrating the before and after effects of deforestation in chosen state/local areas.
• Screenshots or screencast of the Minecraft world demonstrating the present day deforestation in a particular state/local area. Include additional screenshots or screencast of how the same area would look in 5-10 years.
November 8, 2016 8:08 AM
November 8, 2016 2:52 PM
Will use it for a interdisciplinary activity between Science and Geography. In the end the students will have to discuss inclass their conclusions and points of view.
November 9, 2016 6:26 AM
November 12, 2016 10:27 AM
This is a great idea for not only deforestation, but historical cities as well. For example, students could create their town/city in Minecraft today and 100 years ago, including the surrounding area to show development of their community. Thanks! Mark
November 18, 2016 7:16 AM
November 28, 2016 7:22 AM
November 29, 2016 10:42 PM
Great lesson. Would go great with the old Forrest dillema lesson from the Boeing after schools program (shape of change).
December 1, 2016 12:41 AM
December 2, 2016 10:32 AM
December 13, 2016 11:34 AM
Deforestation is a very interesting and highly current topic for working with students.
Basic geometric concepts of area and perimeter.
Fractions in real life settings.
Building Sustainable Homes
What would happen if we ignored climate change?
Dangerous Data Sets
Gathering and Displaying Data
Loss of Biodiversity
What would happen with an extinction of a specie?
Creation of Geometrical Sculptures in Minecraft
Craft Your Future: Refurbish
In this custom built Minecraft world, students encounter a variet...
Preventing Urban Spread
How do we use land efficiently?
Craft your Future – Renovation
Minecraft. In this custom built Minecraft world, students encount...
Maths decimal garden
Decimal garden and questions
Build a Cathedral
Students to design and build a Cathedral
Get through the maze to build a class village
Craft Your Future – Restoration
Craft your future – Construction
In this custom-built Minecraft world, students encounter a variet...
Craft your Future – Learning Construction in Minecraft – Introduction
Math all around us
Explore around the world and find some math.
American Flag Three-Act Math
Determine the fraction/percent of each color!
Tree Farm Probability Lesson
Learn how to log and calculate probability
Angler Arithmetic – Cool Math!
Fishing Competition Teaches Math in Engaging Way
Area and Volume
This is a yearlong project for Fifth Grade.
Blokby i forandring – broer
Skab bedre gang- og cykelmuligheder med broer.
Crafting Your Review
Students create a review world for others.
What’s the Probability
Help Archimedes discover the Probability of Drops!
Velocity-time graph & dispt.
To find displacement using velocity-time graph.
Upcycling: Green Garden Unit
Create a Cleaner, Greener Environment for Schools
Maravilhas do Mundo no MEE
Mausoléu principal do Taj Mahal construido no MEE
Minecraft e o espaço escolar
Estudo e intervenção na escola pelo Minecraft