8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Students will observe crafting recipes, write them as fractions, and then use that knowledge to make an escape!
May 12, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Common Core Standard Link
Engage NY Link
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Explore these ideas with your class:
1) What are equivalent fractions?
2) How are equivalent fractions related?
3) Are fractions division problems, explain why or why not?
To begin, students will load the attached single player Minecraft world "Crafting Fractions".
Creating Fractions From Crafting Recipes
Students will enter the world in single player mode and identify fraction out of crafting recipes.
Make Your Escape Performance Task
Students will need to use their knowledge of fractions and division to figure out how many logs of wood will be needed to craft 18 ladders. Then students will make their escape over the wall.
1) The student was able to create fractions after observing crafting recipes.
2) The student was able to explain the relationship between division and fractions.
3) The student was able to use crafting recipes to figure out how many logs of wood will they need to create 18 ladders.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.