11-13 yrs old
14-18 yrs old
Climate & Environment
Identify examples of common chemical reactions that occur in the real world and use Minecraft mechanics to demonstrate chemical reactions.
January 22, 2018
More Minecraft chemistry lessons
Download the support world
Chemical reactions are occurring all the time, and chemistry has been used to manufacture many objects and materials that we are familiar with. What reactions can we demonstrate with Minecraft?
• Fire is produced when carbon reacts with oxygen to make carbon dioxide.
• Smelting. Turning metal ores into metals. e.g. Iron ore is composed on iron oxides and high temperatures are needed to drive off the oxygen and turn the ore into pure iron.
• Chemical reactions happen when food is cooked. For example when potatoes and vegetables are cooked the heat breaks chemical bonds in cell walls and makes the food easier to digest.
• TNT exploding is a chemical reaction which rapidly produces lots of gas.
• When plants grow they absorb carbon dioxide from the air and turn it into cellulose.
Students should be provided with a set of materials, that should include a very limited about of TNT, a flint and steel and bone meal. They should have access to a crafting table and a furnace.
Students should be encouraged to play Minecraft in a free and open fashion (in survival mode), whilst thinking about what chemical reactions might be going on during their creative and (possibly) destructive game play.
What chemical reactions can you demonstrate with Minecraft?
What examples of prehistoric people using chemistry can you think off?
What natural examples of chemistry are there?
January 22, 2018 9:48 PM
great lesson !
February 14, 2018 12:11 PM
Some materials like the reducers and periodic table are missing.
February 14, 2018 3:57 PM
Hi there, this world will work when the Chemistry update is released. While we were aiming for early February, we wanted to fix a couple of things before sending it out to the world!
We appreciate everyone's patience and hope to have it available soon.
April 6, 2018 1:34 PM
Solar Power Solutions
How can we model storing energy in Minecraft?
Farming Industrial Revolution
Experience life pre & post industrial farming rev
Ship-Trap Island (part 2)
Explore Ship-Trap Island with informational texts.
The Time Machine (Activity 2)
Explore the HG Wells classic in Minecraft
The Time Machine (Activity 1)
Healthy Eating Lesson
Expansion of healthy eating via planting crops
Blokby i forandring-Upcycling
Nedrivning og upcycling i Minecraft
Mount Fuji & Code Connection
Diving into the famous mountain of Japan