14-18 yrs old
The students will create a representation of the cells as a city. Each cell part will be a structure in the city.
February 10, 2017
Peer Assesment Survey
Survey form for collaboration peer assessment.
1. List the names and functions of animal and plant cell types.
2. Think of each part as a structure in a city. What structure would each part be, and why?
3. Build your city in Minecraft, and post a sign next to each structure with its name and the cell part it represents.
Note: I would like to thank Minecraft Mentors Shane Asselstine and Benjamin Kelly for their assistance.
• Students will be working in groups of five.
• The task is to build a city. Each building will represent a different cell part: nucleus; cytoplasm; mitochondria; membrane: chloroplasts; cell wall; vacuole.
• The students will add an identifying sign next to each building stating the name of that building and the name of the cell part the building represents.
• They will create a portfolio using the camera and export it to OneNote Class Notebook.
• The students will present their work to the class and explain their model.
• Each team member will evaluate every other team members’ collaboration.
• Scientific knowledge: accurate description of the cell parts and their functions – 30%
• Presentation: clear and articulate explanations – 30%
• Creativity: The use of original materials and structures- 20%
• Teamwork: a weighted score of the teacher’s and the team members’ scoring - see link to survey.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.