8-10 yrs old
Math & Economics
Students will use blocks in the game to solve multiplication or division world problems and then create a video to show understanding.
February 10, 2020
Minecraft World File
Download the world and open with Minecraft: Education Edition.
Common Core Standard Link
Engage NY Link 1
Associated Engage NY module and lesson.
Engage NY Link 2
The goal of this lesson is to show visuals in Minecraft to prove why and how the multi digit multiplication and long division algorithm works. It is best if the students have had some practice with the algorithms on paper before running this lesson. These math models are a great way to bridge the conceptual and procedural knowledge.
1) What is multiplication?
2) What kind of problems can multiplication solve?
3) What is division?
4) What kind of problems can division solve?
5) Is there a relationship between multiplication and division?
6) Is there a relationship between the problems they can solve?
Multiplication and division can be used to solve real world problems.
Students will load the attached world file focused on Word Problems. Students will enter a single player world and solve the four multiplication problems and four division problems. Students will be in survival mode and will be able to fly.
Students will study and build math models to solve four multiplication problems.
Students will study and build math models to solve four division problems.
Challenge 2 Make a Video
Students will complete the “Build a Word Problem Worksheet” to prepare for their story problem.
Set up your classrooms with a few quiet areas to record video; sometimes the hallway can work if you have an active class.
As students finish up their problems they will teleport to the exhibition stage and be asked to build a problem. The will solve it on paper and in Minecraft a few times until they feel they understand it well enough to make a video to show their work.
When they are ready, send them to the recording area to a make a video explaining how they solved the problem in under two minutes.
How to Make a Video
1. Build the problem.
2. Push the “Windows+G” buttons on your keyboard then the record button.
3. Say your name, say the problem.
4. Solve your problem.
5. Sign off!
1) What kind of problems can multiplication solve?
2) What kind of problems can division solve?
3) Have students peer review if time allows.
1) The student was able to produce a video of them solving a multi digit multiplication problem or division problem.
2) The student was able to translate between numbers and math models.
3) The student was able to critique and analyze the work of others.
4) The student was able to solve and document all eight problems in the Minecraft Exhibition World.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.