11-13 yrs old
14-18 yrs old
Math & Economics
Build a farm by solving area/perimeter word problems to find out the size of each planting patch. Then,write code to make the agent complete the work.
May 15, 2018
Farmland write code & solve math-Copy for Students
Build a Farm with Code by Solving the Math. Using math and code concepts we will build a farm. The farm will have an area for vegetables and animals.
All Farmland files need
Mcworld and Makecode files to help.
This lesson teaches math and coding through project based learning. This lesson is done in a simple flat world. We complete the tutorial world of the Agent before we start this project, so that all the kids are comfortable with using Makecode and the basic functions of the Agent. This is usually the second coding exercise done by the students. The students will work in this lesson together in their own worlds, the worlds on their computers. The students have to solve the area and perimeter problems and build a structures and planting areas on the farm. The students need to put their math solutions answers in their photo journals. If the code written has an error, I encourage the students to leave the structures as is and move to another area; and start a new build with new code. This allows me to see their process. They submit 2 Minecraft files. First with a set of builds done thru code that did not work (this shows their working process) and second with completed built structure and their notes (solution to math). The kids have to be constantly reminded about inventory for the agent, and the setting the active element for the agent. the students will submit their code file too.
Build a Farm with Code by Solving the Math. (See file Attached to give to students for visuals)
Using math and code concepts we will build a farm. The farm will have an area for vegetables and animals. You need to employ your agent to build the following things using code. You will submit your code file and Minecraft file when you complete your work. Use the camera & journal to submit the answers to the question asked in each question.
1. Farm Shed: Total area of the rectangular bldg. should not exceed 200 square blocks.
It should be:
a. 4 blocks tall
b. 1 door (anywhere)
c. 2 glass blocks that act like windows anywhere.
What is the length and width of the bldg. you have built? Photograph the farm shed and provide the answer in your journal under the photo.
2. Carrot Planting Area: The rectangular planting area for the carrot should have width of 5 feet. And, be 2 times as long as it is wide. There should be 1 row of water in between like the image shows. What is the perimeter of the carrot patch? Photograph the carrot patch and provide the answer in your journal under the photo.
3. Potatoes planting area: It is a square and has a perimeter of 25 blocks. “Til” and plant potatoes seeds to show your answer. What is the area of the potatoes patch? Photograph the potato patch and provide the answer in your journal under the photo.
4. Beetroot planting area: The length of a rectangle is 4 blocks. The width is 7 blocks. What is the area of the rectangle? Build the beetroot patch. Photograph the beetroot patch and provide the answer in your journal under the photo.
5. Corral for Cows: The area of a rectangle is 5 blocks. The length is 7 blocks. Build the corral with code. What is the area and perimeter of the corral? Build the corral with fence material. Photograph the cow corral and provide the answer in your journal under the photo.
6. Corral for Sheep: See the image below to build the corral for the sheep. The corral has a water element inside the corral. Build the corral with fence material. What is the area of the corral, not calculating the water element? Photograph the sheep corral and provide the answer in your journal under the photo.
Things to Remember:
1. To make the agent place an item, the item MUST be in the inventory of the agent’s. And, you MUST set the active slot with the item.
2. Lost your Agent? write code to teleport him to you
3. Save your code file and submit for a grade with the working copy and fair copy of your farmland world.
Understand the concepts of Area
Understand the concepts of perimeter
Understand how the Agent works within Microsofts’s MakeCode
Write in complete sentences an answer to each question.
Build the structure for each question.
Build the plan in a systematic and logical manner.
June 23, 2018 4:40 PM
That's very nice! :) Thanks
September 21, 2018 10:40 AM
Thanks for sharing!
October 12, 2018 6:42 AM
Thanks! I love coding
Science in Minecraft
How does science in MC and the real world differ?
Intro to CS with MakeCode
Introduction to CS with MakeCode for Minecraft
Dynamic Ecosystems Project
Mastering ecosystems concepts, ideas, principles
Farming Industrial Revolution
Experience life pre & post industrial farming rev
Minecraftia Masters 2020
Design a world-class golf course then play!
Explore chemical reactions and temperature.
Electricity – Demand Load Calc
Design & estimate electrical load calculation.
Angler Arithmetic – Cool Math!
Fishing Competition Teaches Math in Engaging Way
Moon Craft 2.0 Lunar Learning
Students learn about the Moon & NASA's LOP-G
Adventure Theme Park
Adventure Theme Park with Roller Coaster
Types of Chemical Reactions
Demonstration of different types of reactions
Depicting best sustainable farming method
Art and Magic Museum
Magic art museum where paintings come alive.
Using code and note blocks to create rhythm loops
Minecraft Meets Art
Gender Equality Community
Gender Equality as the foundation of human rights.
Visit Quijote´s World to learn spanish litherature
History – Battle of Vimy Ridge
Choose from several adventures on real Vimy Ridge
Minecraft en Puerto Rico
Desarrollo y construcción de entornos de tu país.
Aquanaut Aquarius – Habitat II
A Skype Field Trip Companion Experience (Or Not)
HourOfCode u znaku Minecrafta
Sat kodiranja u Gimnaziji Vukovar