11-13 yrs old
14-18 yrs old
Math & Economics
Build a farm by solving area/perimeter word problems to find out the size of each planting patch. Then,write code to make the agent complete the work.
May 15, 2018
Farmland write code & solve math-Copy for Students
Build a Farm with Code by Solving the Math. Using math and code concepts we will build a farm. The farm will have an area for vegetables and animals.
All Farmland files need
Mcworld and Makecode files to help.
This lesson teaches math and coding through project based learning. This lesson is done in a simple flat world. We complete the tutorial world of the Agent before we start this project, so that all the kids are comfortable with using Makecode and the basic functions of the Agent. This is usually the second coding exercise done by the students. The students will work in this lesson together in their own worlds, the worlds on their computers. The students have to solve the area and perimeter problems and build a structures and planting areas on the farm. The students need to put their math solutions answers in their photo journals. If the code written has an error, I encourage the students to leave the structures as is and move to another area; and start a new build with new code. This allows me to see their process. They submit 2 Minecraft files. First with a set of builds done thru code that did not work (this shows their working process) and second with completed built structure and their notes (solution to math). The kids have to be constantly reminded about inventory for the agent, and the setting the active element for the agent. the students will submit their code file too.
Build a Farm with Code by Solving the Math. (See file Attached to give to students for visuals)
Using math and code concepts we will build a farm. The farm will have an area for vegetables and animals. You need to employ your agent to build the following things using code. You will submit your code file and Minecraft file when you complete your work. Use the camera & journal to submit the answers to the question asked in each question.
1. Farm Shed: Total area of the rectangular bldg. should not exceed 200 square blocks.
It should be:
a. 4 blocks tall
b. 1 door (anywhere)
c. 2 glass blocks that act like windows anywhere.
What is the length and width of the bldg. you have built? Photograph the farm shed and provide the answer in your journal under the photo.
2. Carrot Planting Area: The rectangular planting area for the carrot should have width of 5 feet. And, be 2 times as long as it is wide. There should be 1 row of water in between like the image shows. What is the perimeter of the carrot patch? Photograph the carrot patch and provide the answer in your journal under the photo.
3. Potatoes planting area: It is a square and has a perimeter of 25 blocks. “Til” and plant potatoes seeds to show your answer. What is the area of the potatoes patch? Photograph the potato patch and provide the answer in your journal under the photo.
4. Beetroot planting area: The length of a rectangle is 4 blocks. The width is 7 blocks. What is the area of the rectangle? Build the beetroot patch. Photograph the beetroot patch and provide the answer in your journal under the photo.
5. Corral for Cows: The area of a rectangle is 5 blocks. The length is 7 blocks. Build the corral with code. What is the area and perimeter of the corral? Build the corral with fence material. Photograph the cow corral and provide the answer in your journal under the photo.
6. Corral for Sheep: See the image below to build the corral for the sheep. The corral has a water element inside the corral. Build the corral with fence material. What is the area of the corral, not calculating the water element? Photograph the sheep corral and provide the answer in your journal under the photo.
Things to Remember:
1. To make the agent place an item, the item MUST be in the inventory of the agent’s. And, you MUST set the active slot with the item.
2. Lost your Agent? write code to teleport him to you
3. Save your code file and submit for a grade with the working copy and fair copy of your farmland world.
Understand the concepts of Area
Understand the concepts of perimeter
Understand how the Agent works within Microsofts’s MakeCode
Write in complete sentences an answer to each question.
Build the structure for each question.
Build the plan in a systematic and logical manner.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and sign up for the Minecraft: Education Edition newsletter. We promise to respect your inbox.