An introduction to four basic logic gates - AND, OR, NOT and XOR - written for students with special needs but can be adapted for mainstream.
March 29, 2017
Logic Lab Gates Game
As above - see Student Activities notes.
Scratch Logic Gates Quiz
How to Build Redstone Logic Gates
This a useful site explaining the gates in Minecraft - good for students to look up other gates.
Prior Binary Lesson PPT
This is the lesson I teach before this one.
Prior Binary Lesson Worksheets
This is the lesson PPT - some slides need printing (see Student Activities).
Logic Gates Wokrsheets
These are the sheets for step 3 in students activities.
Logic Gate Learning Centre World
This zip file contains the pre-built world for the lesson.
* Prior learning - binary/denary - see attached PPT and worksheets - suggested 1st lesson prior to teaching this.
1. Discuss: What does it mean to think logically? Write a list of instructions for a task on the board but in the wrong order (e.g. something short like to write an essay would be turn PC on, log in, research, write essay) students need to reorder.
2. Teacher led: Use the PPT (attached below) to explain what logic gates and truth tables are and then show the four gates being learnt today. Print slide 9 as a worksheet and have students fill it in followed by a quick quiz on the board slides 10-13.
3. Embed: Students fill in the worksheets attached below to check understanding.
4. Task: Introduce the gates in Minecraft and display slides 15-18. Slide 19 has the task on it - students explore the Logic Gate Learning Centre World - looking at the simple gates in the spawn area (they'll need a partner to work the AND gate!!) they then explore the working examples - this can be done as a group for lower ability students. The main task is to then build a working mechanism using redstone.
Extensions: Look up other gates and apply to a mechanism/write out the truth table or use more than one of the four main gates for the lesson in a mechanism (they can be two of the same type). They could also explore the other gates in the logic lab game rather than build another mechanism in the game.
5. Round up: Quick quiz - print off slide 20.
* There are two links on the PPT (also given below) these games can be used at any point - one demonstrates the gates with lights and buzzers on the screen (logic lab) and the other is a simple scratch quiz.
* The world is built using build allow/deny blocks in all areas to avoid things being destroyed - there are also border blocks round all areas to avoid student wandering into each others areas.
* All students will be able to identify four logic gates and build a simple working circuit displayed in the spawn area (not as part of a working mechanism such as a shower).
* Most students will be able to fill in the truth tables for the four gates and build a simple working circuit as part of a simple mechanism (such as a light switch).
* Some students will be able to identify extension logic gates and use more than one gate in a larger working mechanism (such as a lighthouse lighting system*).
* They don't need to build the actual lighthouse - see example in the examples area of the world.
Teach The Scientific Method To All Ages
L1 Beginners Mining & Building
A lesson for beginners on how to gather resources.
Melody Lane – Music Education
Use Redstone and Note Blocks to Sequence Melodies
The Island Innovation Project
Students Engineer Islands Just Like Dubai
Leagues of Literacy
Science Fiction Writing Prompt (Fantasy)
A Cellular Organelle Community Project
MC:EE Musical Chairs Project!
It takes a class to raise a village!
Il Mondo Tutorial
Il Mondo Tutorial tradotto in italiano
Build Battle EDU
Demonstrate ANY subject's curriculum competitively
How can you make 3D printer with Minecraft
Приручник за Мајнкрафт
Српски превод званичног приручника...
如果你想了解在中国发行的Minecraft我的世界教育版，请访问我们的中国官方网站. 你也可以留在 education.minecraft.net了解世界其他地方如何使用Minecraft: Education Edition.