8-10 yrs old
11-13 yrs old
Math & Economics
Within a fixed perimeter, students program the Agent to find the Redstone using the Makecode While, IF- Else If and Random.
August 26, 2019
Introduction to Coordinates in Minecraft
Exercise to help students understand coordinates in Minecraft. Stretch exercises included.
Agent Treasure Hunt
Complete Bird house exercise sheet for Agent Treasure Hunt exercise. Illustrated with screen shots and explanations.
When trying to find something in a fixed perimeter, is it generally faster to guess randomly or to follow a set procedure like a pattern sequence? Think about the game of Battleships. If they have played the game ask the children to recall if they guessed randomly or of they had a process they followed.
Play a game in class.
Create a 10 by 10 grid with letters for columns and numbers for rows, like a chess board.
Students pair up.
One student secretly chooses a square and starts a stop watch. The other student tries find the square by guessing randomly. Record the time it takes Repeat the process 10 times and calculate the average time it takes to find the square.
The process is repeated but this time the student guessing uses a sequence. Could be a different sequence each time.
Which method is fastest. Discus the pros and cons of random versus sequence.
The use of OneNote Class Notebook is great for students to record results.
1. Students should create a new world with Blocks of Grass and then build a perimeter wall enclosing 10 x 10 blocks of grass. How many blocks are required to encase 10 x 10 blocks of grass? Most students will say 40 as they do not think of the corners. Let them think about it before telling them it is 44.
2. Randomly replace one of the grass blocks with a Redstone block.
3. Note down the coordinates of two opposite corners and explain what X Y Z coordinates are. Why does Y not change.
4. What is the maximum and minimum value of X and Z within the perimeter wall?
5. Teleport the agent to random locations within the perimeter wall by changing the values of X and Z
6. Now write a program to teleport the agent to a random location within the perimeter wall. The agent will move forward until it reaches the perimeter wall. Once the perimeter wall is reached the Agent is automatically teleported to a new random location and the process is repeated.
7. Modify the Agent program so that if at any time it is above the Redstone the agent stops and does a small victory dance.
8. Stretch exercises are added in the handout.
Understanding 3 dimensional coordinates is not easy and some students will struggle to visualise all three dimensions. Assisting them to find and note down there diagonally opposite coordinates will help them understand the maximum and minimum vlaues of X and Z so that they remain within the pereimeter wall. Get students to practice teleporting the agent by manually changing the coordinates.
Majority of students will be able to follow the guided exercise without much trouble but not all will totally understand all the concepts of the programming. Get them to read through the illustrated handout first so that they understand each step before starting Minecraft. This would be a great opportunity for a flipped classroom where studnets get the exercise handout prior to lesson to review. A short session of questions and answers follow befoe starting the exercise. This will identify the students that may need more assistance.
Students to create a sustainable energy circuit
Area and Volume
Use the formulas for area and volume.
Build a Farm with Code & Math
Build a farm with code by solving Math clues.
Recreate real-world objects in Minecraft
Angler Arithmetic – Cool Math!
Fishing Competition Teaches Math in Engaging Way
MMW: Prime Vs. Composite
Mini Math Minecraft! Quick Lesson: Prime/Composite
Dream Scream Machines
Introduction to quadratic functions
House Construction and Area
A lesson utilising floor plans to calculate area
Energy Efficient House
Designing Energy Efficient Houses
Upcycling: Green Garden Unit
Create a Cleaner, Greener Environment for Schools
To calculate formula
Part of Whole Art (fraction)
Create pic using fractional parts
Find a way out of the arena without getting caught
Explore perimeter in real life situations.
Virtual worksheet (triangles)
virtual worksheet (triangles)
Explore 1st quadrant
Sistemas de ecuaciones 2×2
Solución de sistemas de ecuaciones
如果你想了解在中国发行的Minecraft我的世界教育版，请访问我们的中国官方网站. 你也可以留在 education.minecraft.net了解世界其他地方如何使用Minecraft: Education Edition.