14-18 yrs old
Reading and Writing
Students have to determine who is at the center of new fighting between the Montagues and Capulets.
January 15, 2018
Argumentative Essay Rubric https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pWK48zH2oKiZYPRc1RUXjFPGH8LCUbYT/view
Argumentative Essay Rubric
Verona Adventure-Argumentative Essay Outline https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uJMY5W1iEQ3_-dQVhCLEdw5fBguAAUt4MTZBBaafMlg/edit?usp=sharing
Verona Adventure-Argumentative Essay Outline
Verona Adventure Walkthrough https://youtu.be/ZLrg1gJwdRU
A video walkthrough of the Verona Adventure
Verona Adventure M:EE World
What happens years after the deaths of Romeo and Juliet? Did the inhabitants of Verona truly forgive one another? The Shakespeare classic, Romeo and Juliet, leaves readers with a city previously plagued by the constant fighting of two powerful families. If the fighting ends abruptly how does Verona begin to function in this new peace? Students explore these ideas through an adventure that ultimately leads to an argumentative essay in which they attempt to regain their freedom.
*World created by Simon Baddeley
1. Show students the trailer for the Verona Adventure. https://youtu.be/MjkNN1cJyCE
2. Tell students the adventure will lead to an argumentative essay and that collecting evidence is key. Also, let students know that all of the information they need is in the game (including rubrics & outlines). *As a teacher, you can create your own rubrics and outlines- simply alter the commands for the NPCs in the jail (Globe Theater) to reflect the websites of your materials.
3. Have each student download the world and work through the adventure individually. The directions for the adventure are indicated by the Chorus where they first spawn. (Directions: Explore Verona, use the camera and portfolio to collect evidence, report to the Chief Watchman when they have uncovered who has once again started the fighting between the Capulets and Montagues.)
4. Give students time to explore (approximately 90 minutes), talk to characters, collect evidence, etc.
5. When students think they have solved the crime, they will go to see the Chief Watchman in the Globe Theater (also stated by the Chorus in the beginning directions).
6. Anyone who claims to have information will be thrown in jail as a suspected criminal because they are carrying gold (which a number of NPCs will give them throughout their adventure) which is from the destroyed statue.
7. Students must then talk to the two NPCs in jail as they give details as to how to become free. The only escape is an argumentative essay, in which students must state their innocence and give evidence as to who they think the criminal mastermind may be. *Spoiler alert: All clues point to Prince Escalus (who started the fighting because it was good for business), or E as he is often called. Prince Escalus is not an NPC in the world and thus they will not be able to get a photo of him. However, there are a number of NPCs that Escalus has hired to create a bit of mayhem.
Students should know how to take photos and label them in their portfolio. They must also be able to take screenshots of their portfolio or know how to export their portfolio as evidence for their argumentative essay. Students should be able to explore the map on their own as they investigate the crimes around Verona. All of the necessary materials are in the game, so students should be able to complete the essay with no outside resources.
January 21, 2018 1:25 AM
Hi Ben What an incredible world! Wow! I'm going to start by saying that I'm new to MC-EDU (and MC in general, honestly) but have a question or two for you. I'm trying to play it and when I talk to certain characters (Balthazar, for example) they say things that lead me to believe I'm going to get something from them ("He did drop this...") but nothing appears in my inventory or on the ground. Am I doing something wrong / misunderstanding? Is it because my account is a teacher account? Does it even work like that, haha? Shoot me a DM on twitter (if you have it, @ohagan_amdsb) or an email (let's contact folks through profiles, and not leave email addresses on the forums if we can, thanks a bunch ~ admin) if you can! I really love the world and could see myself using it but don't fully understand it at the moment! Ryan
January 21, 2018 5:19 PM
I will message you Ryan to walk you through it. Thanks for downloading and playing it.
January 25, 2018 9:12 AM
Wow that's cool!
January 26, 2018 4:55 AM
Awsome and great effort Ben! I'm still new and I'd like to learn from you ^_^
February 12, 2018 12:16 PM
Let me know how I can help you on your M:EE journey.
January 26, 2018 11:58 AM
I would be happy to help!
February 22, 2018 11:29 PM
Awsome and great effort Ben! I'm still new and I'd like to learn from you
February 23, 2018 11:38 AM
Absolutely! Just contact me through my profile and I would be happy to help you on your M:EE journey.
March 28, 2018 4:44 PM
how to open Verona_Adventure Assets ?
March 29, 2018 11:12 AM
After downloading the assets, right click on the zip file. Then click on the "Extract all..." (on a Windows 10 machine) and then determine where you want the file folder saved.This will unzip the file and give you full access. Zipping allows large file sizes to be compressed. Hope this helps.
April 14, 2018 9:24 PM
How can I change the rubric?
April 15, 2018 5:13 PM
You will have to copy it to your drive and then edit it...or download it, edit it, then put in the address of where you post it online.
April 26, 2018 1:25 PM
What an incredible world....
May 11, 2018 8:39 AM
I like it. This is incredible world.
May 21, 2018 3:41 PM
Explore and create stories in The Baddlands
Lesson and game build about usonian architecture.
The Time Machine (Activity 5)
Explore the HG Wells classic in Minecraft
Explore a small world inside Franz Kafka's mind.
The Time Machine (Activity 2)
Students will create their own Origin Myths
The Fall of Narciss
Explore the dystopian wasteland of Baddopia
Visit Quijote´s World to learn spanish litherature
Animal Farm-Symbolism Activity
Explore symbolism with George Orwell's Animal Farm